WöschlerOrden

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book Review-First Day on the Somme (a classic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book Review-First Day on the Somme (a classic)

Hello folks,
    This book by Martin Middlebrook (published by W.W.Norton & Company. Inc) was written in 1972 and still ranks as one of my favorite WWI battle books. At the time the book was written, many veterans of the battle were still alive and of course interviewed for their accounts.

In my opinion, this book is a must for anyone interested in the Somme battle of WWI. Try to find this classic if you can. Mr. Middlebtrook really made the Somme come alive in this work.
    Regards,
    Jody
    Attached Files

Book Review

BTW, I understand they are re-releasing it.
    Jody

Comment

First day on The Somme.

Jody ,"First Day on The Somme" has probably rarely been out of print , I agree with you completlely its as good as the day it was written.

How good is the book , if you cannot be moved by it you must be made of stone.

Someday all books will be written like this one.

Excellent.

Comment

This book is a fantastic account of "the big push" as Haig referred to it. The tragedy of the near-complete annihilation of the Newfoundland Regiment is detailed here as I recall.

Comment

Somme.

A great book which anyone with even the slightest interest in WWI should definatly read. The enormity of the losses incurred on the battlefields of the Somme certainly warrants some reflection and this book does it justice. A milestone of a book.

Regards Richard.
          Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

I will say, I picked this book up used, on a whim, because after reading a page or two, I couldn't put it down! One of the best WWI books I've ever read, and I'm by no means a "WWI" collector. Incredible! And....like an idiot, I lent my copy to another person, and haven't seen it again! GRRRRRR.

Anyway...highly recommended!!

Best Regards,
            Jason

Comment

Read this n, weep , one of my all time best books , for any one wishing to learn about the `kitcheners pals ` and the forming of these units this book is a must, A CLASSIC ,Michael.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X