X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage

Just watched it, thought it was ok, not great but ok for a Sunday afternoon

I was not aware of the full story to be honest

A man from my small hometown was one of the Sailors who died when the ship was sunk but his body was never recovered. His parents have long since passed and in the town cemetery they have a 3 plot burial group for themselves and their son, as well as having his name engraved beside theirs on their headstone, but of course his remains aren't there. Every time I see it I have to stop and think. All wars are terrible but WW II was such a huge conflict. Nearly every family had skin in the game. My father and his 2 older brothers all served overseas in the Army, fortunately they all came home. I can't imagine how much my Grandma worried.

I love WWII history more than anything but every time I see that Sailor's empty grave next to his parents' it reminds me of the sacrifices and grief endured by so many families who lost a loved one. Like this poor couple who lost their son and carried their grief all the way to their own graves, especially never having his body returned home or even finding out how he died.

That truly was a great generation, all nations included.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
    X