Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book Review-The First World War

Hello,
    To begin with I really love this book "The First World War" by John Keegan. John Keegan (IMO, is a top military historian) does a great job of discussing WWI in a nice general overall review. While this book may not go into great detail into anyone one area, it is great for those folks that want a review of WWI or know little about it. That is why I give a copy of this book to my student teachers.

John Keegan is able to fill the book with great maps, photographs, and even some first person accounts. To me this book is a must for anyone interested in the history of WWI. We need more books like this on WWI.
    Regards,
    Jody
    Attached Files

If I were to write Keegans tombstone inscription it would run along the lines of....

"As far as Military historians go... the sun shone out of this mans ass..."

I dont agree with everything he writes, but his books get your brain working...

Comment

I read this book 2-3 years ago, I liked it and WWI is not really my area of interest.

Comment

His others are really good as well, I think this is tzhr only WW1 one?

Comment

it is good,

Face of Battle and the The book of war, were fun reads aswell.

Comment

Face of Battle--now that is a seminal read. His analysis of the Somme in relation to Agincourt and Waterloo is masterful. Keegan is a fantastic historian; one of the greats, right up there with AJP Taylor, Martin Middlebrook, J.F.C. Fuller and Barbara Tuchman.

Comment

I am no doubt in the minority. Keegan's book got good reviews but it falls nto the pile of another English / western view of things. Much of his work is about 1914. I really prefer Herger Holwig's book. My original comments are at:

http://www.coljs.com/books/holger.htm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X