whats the best book youve ever read!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats the best book youve ever read!

so what the best book youve all ever read? you know the type of book where you start reading at 10 and then glance at the clock and its 4 in the morning!!! or when you look to see what station your at and your already 3 stations past your normal station!!! for me fiction would have to be tom clancys red storm rising! line is that the soviets invade europe! great book co writing by larry bond my all time favoirte author! 830 pages and i had it read in 4 and a half days!!!
    non fiction id have to say a book on true war story from the vets! cant remember the name off hand il rout though my books and find it but some amazing things happend on boths sides of the war!!!
    so what are your favoiurte books they can be fiction or non fiction its all good!!!

If i can choose three.............

Indecent Exposure and Riotous Assembly by Tom Sharpe
    and Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

These are the only books that have made me laugh out loud while reading......

Steve.

Comment

It's like what is your favorite song.

I have so many that I can't list them, but the first book I read as a young adult (age 15) that had an effect on me about the world that I was about to enter was:

"In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote

Comment

Some of my favorites . . . (as I think of them) ones I read at least once every year or two
        Watership Down by Richard Adams

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Goodbye Mister Chips by James Hilton

The Stand by Stephen KIng

London by Edward Rutherfurd

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

...anything by Stuart Kaminsky, Richard Matheson, Michael Slade

Comment

Greatest Books

Hello,
          In my case, my two favorite all time books are simple-for fiction "All Quiet on the Western Front" and for non-fiction "The Longest Day". I read both books when I was around 11 years old and they made the greatest impact on me.
          Jody

Comment

The Forgotten soldier by Guy Sajer
            And "my life as a suicide bomber" by Maccmach machmoooood ,its got an explosive ending ....Boom Booom .
            God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

The Lord of the Ring Trilogy. I started reading it when I was 10 and have read it dozens of times since. Something about the little guy trying to make a difference.
              Don

The Killer Angels was good too. Something about the American Civil War that speaks to me. They could try and kill each other by day and at night sit around the fire and talk about the good times and good friends (across the way) from the good old days. They just never seemed to get nasty.
              pseudo-expert

Comment

General:The Stand:Stephen King.....still scares the heck outta me.

War:

Wingless Victory :Sir Basil Embry(I read this book once every year and always at the time-frame of when he was shot down-This is a ritual I have completed for the last 10 years!....nearly time again).

Worth £1.75 in my opinion
                http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

The Big Show :Pierre Clostermann

Theres's more,but can't think of any just yet.

Comment

Best books.

Really depends on the type.
                  As far as comedy goes Stevezz1 has two of mine if not three , the 2 x Toms Sharpe tiltes and Catch -22 are first rate side spliters , the Toms Sharpe books featuring Constable Ells .

General fiction Almost anything by Wilbur Smith , he writes a great book.
                  ( Add to this " One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest")

WW1- " First day on the Somme" by Martin Middlebrook an outstanding excellent book which both moves and apalls the reader- well researched and well written.
                  It made a profound impact on me when aged 17.
                  WW2- Harder . Ian Kershaws Hubris and Nemesis , Middlebrooks "Nuremburg Raid" , "Peenemunde" are excellent.
                  Equally " Operation Drumbeat" ( Gammon) , Hill112 ( How) , or " Steel Inferno" ( Reyonolds) are worth reading.

Comment

Ragnarök by Erik Wallin.
                    Written by a swedish in the SS, good reading but with a political undertone all the time, still a great book!
                    Especially liked the part when he and his former CO Hans Gösta Pehrsson escaped back to sweden
                    I think its avaible in english to under the name "Twillight of the gods".

Comment

Well ive read a few good books. Best ones though are '1984' By George Orwell, Fatherland by Robert Harris and 'The Man in the High Castle' by Phillip K. Dick.

Comment

All around best war book "Once an Eagle" by Anton Myrer

Science Fiction - "JOB - a Comedy of Justice" by Robert Heinlein plus "Friday" by the same author.

"To Kill a Mockingbird" - Reminds me of growing up in the south

Historical fiction - Bernard Cornwell's - Sharpe's series

Probably will have more.

Comment

"On The Road"- Jack Kerouac
                          "Crime And Punishment"
                          "Commentaries On Living" Jiddu Krishnamurti (Philosopher)
                          I'm sure there's a couple more but my memory isn't what it used ot be.

Comment

It's hard to put an order on them but my three would be:

Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy

The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy

General Custer's Libbie by Lawrence A. Frost

The Clancy books were almost impossible to put down. The Frost book "lit my fuse" in a quest for information on G.A.C. and was the first book in my Custer library.

Greg
                            sigpic
                            Sgt. Mahlon E. Sebring, 82nd ABN, 319th Glider Field Arty. A Battery - Normandy to Berlin

As it was their duty to defend our freedom, so it becomes our duty to honor their service.

Comment

Heinlein's Starship Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land.
                              Sharpes' Porterhouse Blue-but the two mentioned above were brilliant as well and the scene in The Throwback" of the dog on LSD still makes me laugh just to think of it.
                              Lambedusa's The Leopard.
                              Plenzdorf's Die Neue Leiden...
                              MacDonald-Frasers' Flashman and the Mountain of Light
                              ...all of the Harry Potter novels.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X