No announcement yet.

Dunkirk - Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was OK for me - not really something to write Home about . . . but after a couple of beers at Hofbrauhaus, it turned out to be a good way to spend a rainy Friday afternoon - dodging work.

Comment

The Dunkirk scene in the movie Attonelent was better than this whole film.

Comment

We are lucky to have a lot of amateur film reviewists on the WAF. Unfortunately they are so biased, nothing short of filming a real war and battle will satisfy them and also only if Brad Pitt is not caught up in that battle. Guys it is a movie, fictionn ot a documentary and you can either love it or hate it. It is suppose to be entertainmnent and real war never is.

Comment

Interesting point Jean Loup, the film Atonement had some well filmed scenes set in Dunkirk. The Atonement book by Ian McEwan (on which the film was based) is a great one in my opinion, and has some brilliantly described scenes, very well informed because McEwan's father was there.
          I have to agree with jacquesf though, it is only going to be a film at the end of the day, so there to be entertaining primarily and not a documentary.
          I still can't wait to see it !

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
            The Dunkirk scene in the movie Attonelent was better than this whole film.
            You are so damn right, that's how it should have been !

Comment

I saw it Friday, thought it was OK. Was it me or was the base sound effects too loud at my local IMAX? Also it reminded me of one of the those old Alfred Hitchcock films, interesting article; http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-...es-1202132557/

Comment

Originally posted by Karl S. View Post
                I saw it Friday, thought it was OK. Was it me or was the base sound effects too loud at my local IMAX? Also it reminded me of one of the those old Alfred Hitchcock films, interesting article; http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-...es-1202132557/
                I thought it was a touch too loud

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly w View Post
                  My next France trip will include the Dunkirk beaches etc. IS there any monuments museums there? You Europe folk are lucky.
                  There are some wrecks not far from the beach, you can walk to.

Also, make sure to visit both Batterie Todt and Ambleteuse museums, between Calais and Boulogne sur mer. There is also the V3 museum close by.

Comment

My son has autism and is sensitive to loud sounds, he had his headphones on and he still said it was loud! He battled through it and gave it 9 out of 10, 1 off because it was so loud. It was an amazing film to see on Imax.

The Germans were the unseen threat most of the movie except for the few dog fight scenes, in fact the opening refers to them just as the "enemy ", so many of the kids who went to see Henry Stiles probably didn't learn much history.

Comment

Just saw it last night and really enjoyed the "less is more" element as well as the feeling of being among the troops and the confusion that surrounds that- rather than sitting alongside a general for an entire military movie.

As a French collector, I got hung up on the obviously postwar French mas-36 that we saw less than 60 seconds in...
                      ------------------------------------------------
                      Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

I only saw it on regular film format, and to me it was loud, but in some ways I thought that was good (especially during the aerial combat), however it was almost like a 2 hour long crescendo that most movies only play right before the climax. But this film never really had a climax either.

I am going to see it again next weekend with our Southern California Collector Group, but this time at an IMAX. I am curious about the way the film will feel with the larger format.

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                          We are lucky to have a lot of amateur film reviewists on the WAF. Unfortunately they are so biased, nothing short of filming a real war and battle will satisfy them and also only if Brad Pitt is not caught up in that battle. Guys it is a movie, fictionn ot a documentary and you can either love it or hate it. It is suppose to be entertainmnent and real war never is.

Very true Jacques, we have sort of ruined ourselves by being collectors and historians. Because of our knowledge we will always hold the movie industry to a higher standard. As a result, perhaps I am personally too critical.

But I also look back at older war films and see much better movies, even with their inaccuracies and lack of special effects. The movie "The Longest Day" will always be one of my favorites, and it is filled with mistakes and historical inaccuracies. However, it still told the story well and really conveyed to the audience just how enormous and challenging Operation Overlord was. I did not get that feeling about Dunkirk.

Comment

Rather than add my own comments that no one is interested in, I thought I would add a link that appeared on Reddit this evening...

Calgary veteran who survived Dunkirk causes a stir at movie premiere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at5uUvRkxZ0

Comment

Perspective

As participators on WAF we have to be careful, if I were a Director I would want to open this huge historical event to as many people as possible. On Friday there were rows of teenage girls wanting to see Harry Stiles a young man I did not know until Friday. They watched and hopefully learned something. We study battles, campaigns
                              etc. so let us allow others to be exposed to the ghastliness of war. The BEF were hopelessly out of their depth and appallingly led. Trevor Smith who I knew, sat in a foxhole watching senior French officers fleeing alongside a bedraggled British contingents who were lost, confused with no leadership. It took selfless British and French junior officers to rally the men and fend off German attacks. To his dying day he remained a very bitter man. He paid the price and was a POW for 5 years

Comment

Originally posted by eubank View Post
                                Really looking forward to this.
                                Brad Pitt ain't in it, but Mark Rylance is. Great actor ! Brilliant in Wolf Hall (and everything else).
                                I could not believe just how excellent his portrayal of T. Cromwell was. AMAZING actor and amazing historical TV show, in my top 5 alongside HBO's Rome.

I am also looking forward to Dunkirk. My understanding is that it is done with strange editing. It's good to see that people are not following the standard "hero" cliche story.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 78 users online. 0 members and 78 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X