Dunkirk - Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really looking forward to this.
    Brad Pitt ain't in it, but Mark Rylance is. Great actor ! Brilliant in Wolf Hall (and everything else).

Comment

Originally posted by Tom M View Post
      Just booked 4x tickets to see Dunkirk on the opening day. Is anyone else excited about going to see it? Any rumours? I wonder what our American cousins' thoughts are, and whether they will turn out? It seems that the film was very nearly not made, according to Christopher Nolan - Director, due to the fact the Hollywood producers were worried about the viability of an all British big budget war film.
      Just booked tickets in local IMAX for Friday !!

Comment

Looking forward to seeing it, my granddad was from Kent & sent out in the BEF,
        He was at Dunkirk stuck on the beach, he talked about what happened, how they got strafed & bollox to standing in the sea waiting for a lift, etc they mostly got killed waiting. He disobeyed orders to move away to a knackered jetty to be rescued by a small boat then took out to a destroyer & safety.

He passed away several years ago, just wish he was still here to see this film & hear him talk about it again.

Incidentally he was older than most & later was sent back in 1944 made up to a sergeant, he didn't want to go back & said he knew how bloody good they were!

Comment

Originally posted by Seigfried View Post
          Neither do I, I was at the 100th Bomb Group Museum and memorial only last month and often drive past the huge US cemetery near Cambridge. My beef is with Hollywood and the people who run it, because many people see films and take it as gospel.
          Many people read the gospel and take it as truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Kullmer View Post
            Looking forward to seeing it, my granddad was from Kent & sent out in the BEF,
            He was at Dunkirk stuck on the beach, he talked about what happened, how they got strafed & bollox to standing in the sea waiting for a lift, etc they mostly got killed waiting. He disobeyed orders to move away to a knackered jetty to be rescued by a small boat then took out to a destroyer & safety.

He passed away several years ago, just wish he was still here to see this film & hear him talk about it again.

Incidentally he was older than most & later was sent back in 1944 made up to a sergeant, he didn't want to go back & said he knew how bloody good they were!
            God bless him

Comment

My beef is with Hollywood and the people who run it, because many people see films and take it as gospel.
              i remember a historian once saying something along the lines- movies become the collective memory for an historical event. (so for example, when people think of D-Day they think of saving private ryan, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by redline09 View Post
                i remember a historian once saying something along the lines- movies become the collective memory for an historical event. (so for example, when people think of D-Day they think of saving private ryan, etc)
                Yeah, people wrongfully believe Patton had this thunderous voice due to George C. Scott's movie portrayal...When in reality, Patton's voice was sweaky and high pitched.....Bodes

Comment

I'm very much looking forward to seeing it, my Dad was at Dunkirk - he was a lighterman (London Tugs) He made one trip towing a few little boats over, went back for another load (after filling the deck up with French and British soldiers) before he was turned back - and getting strafed by a Dornier 17 - He never spoke about it - but said one thing.......saying the only hero is a dead hero - and there wasn't a bloody yank in sight

Comment

Mmm

'and there was n't a bloody yank in sight'.

THAT SAYS IT ALL.

SF.

Comment

I hope it's good and like the idea of the Brits doing it. I mean how can you mess up with all that fantastic CGI.

Comment

Dunkirk film getting very good reviews from what I have read online so far.

Comment

It certainly looks promising. Some of them are high praise indeed.

"No war film you've seen before - from Das Boot to Saving Private Ryan to The Thin Red Line - comes close to what Nolan has created here."

That's a bold statement! Hope it's proved right. More reviews here... https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dunkirk_2017/

Comment

You mean they were worried about a film in which the US weren't portrayed as saving the world single-handedly and making Hollywood loads of money in the process.

Having read many reviews on what looked like promising films over the years on this site I sincerely hope that:

1. Brad Pitt isn't in it.
                            2. There is no 'love interest'.

When is it out in UK?
                            Brad Pitt...ruined 'Fury' and ruined 'Inglorious Basterds'

Comment

IF I see his 50+ yr puffy face in 1 more WW2 film I will just lose it.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaMilitaria View Post
                                Brad Pitt...ruined 'Fury' and ruined 'Inglorious Basterds'
                                I thought he was excellent in both, very convincing

Nick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 62 users online. 0 members and 62 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X