No announcement yet.

A new book about SS-Polizei-Division

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been my experience that page count is one of several good indicators of book content. Your book has 389 fewer pages than the highly detailed and extensively researched and footnoted 2-volume Polizei set of Mark Yerger's published only 5 years ago. For those with a serious interest in the Polizei Division I recommend Mark Yerger's publications. I am yet to see any "new" information here that would persuade me to purchase this book, aside from the claim of an unspecified number of previously unpublished photos. Did you write anything about division commander Harzer's plan to arrest Hitler in 1945?

Comment

I think Mr. Moore has asked very legitimate questions. Obviously he means that how in-depth a history of a significant division-sized formation can be within less than 70 text pages? To put things into perspective: Mauno Jokipii's magisterial book on the Finnish SS-battalion has some 700 text pages.

I have also been told by a knowledgeable fellow enthusiast of mine that Afiero's Prinz Eugen book is ages behind in research to Bohumir & Kudlicka's book. Unfortunately it seems that many military historians are not willing to open their works to similar open peer reviewing (using real names) as academic historians must do.

Comment

John/Pasoleati,

You are not comparing like for like here at all.

The Yerger books (Vol 5 & 6 of the German Cross in Gold series) are essentially officer biographies, it is Not an SS Polizei book as such.

It's a series of in depth biographies of those SS-Polizei men who happened to have won a German Cross. Those who did not win a German cross are not particularly covered except in terms of how they relate to those who Did win a German cross. Those 2 books out of that exhaustive 'German Cross' series are invaluable for what they are but they are not a great introduction to SS Polizei division.

The Husemann book IS definitive in terms of overall coverage however for all it's flaws should that be the end of it ? No one should ever write another book because that one was already written?

The 3 volume Husemann book is exceptional and I am still finding things in that book several years after getting hold of it but there are many who will never read it because it's too much (in terms of it being a suitable introduction). Not withstanding that it was only translated in the 2000s (far as I can remember).

I am not really getting the reason for the animosity toward this new SS Pol.Div book at all. If you don't like it or look down on it then give it a pass.

I agree Mark Yerger is much missed but this is not a rip-off or a copy cat book of his series. Nor is it an osprey re-hash.

There is Plenty of room for more books on this division. Look at other SS divisions, TK, Das Reich, Wiking etc there are many many books on those of all different kinds. Looking at the Hastings or Lucas Das Reich they are essentially the same narrow book from slightly different points of view. There is zero comparison in terms of the amount of book coverage given to SS Pol Div vs other major SS combat Divisions.

I see this book as a positive because it will increase interest and for some it will eventually lead them onto Husemann & the Yerger books and several others in much the same way that the Arico & Michaelis Orpo (Pol.Btl, SS-pol.rgt) books will lead readers onto Curillla and Klemp which are infinitely more indepth and massive in terms of original archive research and also by page count (if that is how we are measuring things now). It's not reasonable to expect that every book published about a specific division should have the same purpose & the exact same level of audience as other books. There is room for more. I am also looking forward to the Baxter SS Pol Div one which is likely to be heavily photographic but what the hey that one is looking like it will sell for 15 EUR so I can take the gamble.

Comment

Mil-Archive, I am not suggesting that Yerger's set is in any way a proper history of this division. On the contrary, I have made my views on Yerger's lack on analysis very clear (Yerger's books are basically chronicles, not histories). However, I for one, believe that truly good books that supposedly have new information must be based on primary research. And based on the reviews of other books from Afiero, the amount of true archival research and cross-analysis is simply not there.

Comment

Polizei

I repeat my question. Did you read or read the book? Before making any judgment, read it first. Then, if you want to buy it or not, free to do so, we are in democracy. But do not criticize the work and research of others without first consulting them.

Waffen211

Comment

Polizei Book

Originally posted by John P. Moore View Post
              It has been my experience that page count is one of several good indicators of book content. Your book has 389 fewer pages than the highly detailed and extensively researched and footnoted 2-volume Polizei set of Mark Yerger's published only 5 years ago. For those with a serious interest in the Polizei Division I recommend Mark Yerger's publications. I am yet to see any "new" information here that would persuade me to purchase this book, aside from the claim of an unspecified number of previously unpublished photos. Did you write anything about division commander Harzer's plan to arrest Hitler in 1945?

The book tracks the operating history of the division, it does not deal with gossip or unverified stories. Do you have any documents on the subject?

Waffen211

Comment

Polizei Book

Latest clarifications for Mr. Moore. The historian Mark Yerger had collaborated with Massimiliano Afiero with articles for his magazine, exchanging materials and documents (in the second volume of Polizei of Yerger there are photos of Afiero) and Mark also provided material for this latest book by Afiero before Leave us. In addition, the book in question is the first ever Italian work on the subject. When the English version comes out, we'll talk about it again.

Waffen211

Comment

Polizei

Originally posted by pasoleati View Post
                  Mil-Archive, I am not suggesting that Yerger's set is in any way a proper history of this division. On the contrary, I have made my views on Yerger's lack on analysis very clear (Yerger's books are basically chronicles, not histories). However, I for one, believe that truly good books that supposedly have new information must be based on primary research. And based on the reviews of other books from Afiero, the amount of true archival research and cross-analysis is simply not there.
                  Dear Pasoleati, are you allowed to judge Afiero's books by reading the reviews of who? Afiero's books are mainly based on primary sources from archives around the world. Do not allow yourself to judge the work and research of others without first documenting it.

Waffen211

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X