Five Came Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Five Came Back

I just finished a Netflix original called Five Came Back. About Five different Hollywood directors who volunteered for military service during WW2. Very well done and I recommend it. These guys sacrificed a lot to do there part. All five were forever changed after their service.

I saw it also and I concur. It was very well done with all the technical competence that you come to expect with the names involved in its production. But I somewhat disliked the melodramatic touch it conveys. I don't see the difference from these men and the hundreds of camera men/photographers from all sides of the conflict. I believe they all sacrificed a lot to get the footage they got. I also believe WW2 changed every man and woman involved in it for better or worse.

Comment

FIVE CAME BACK: Film Trailer
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JuiCTz6Khw

Comment

I also saw this series and it was very good. I was not aware that some of the most prolific directors went overseas and served. I personally don't think there is anything different at the core between these men and the hundreds of other combat photographers that served. But I think their effect on the American people where more because of the ability to produce and release a "mainstream" movie that many Americans would see, vs. the other combat footage that we see pieced together in documentaries. Again at the core these men were the same, all brave and patriotic, and thank God they all took up the call to serve. We don't call them the greatest generation for nothing! If you haven't seen the series take some time and watch it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I read about this and look forward to seeing it. I recall that some of the Directors never "recovered" their former careers after returning home. I think the "difference" between these individuals and combat photographers is that they were all relatively famous and well established directors in the golden age of Hollywood when they left their careers to support the war effort. I can't imagine any or many directors today doing the same.

Gary B
          ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X