The War Diary of Dr. Wilhelm Mauss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most biographies or war diaries of soldiers in the Second World War are about the fighting troops, preferably from well known Panzer commanders.

This book is different!

It is the nearly day to day diary of a medical officer, starting on Friday 1 September 1939 with the sentence: “The decision has been made: since early this morning the weapons of Germany and Poland are exchanging fire!” and ending with the last entry on Thursday 25 February 1947 with the exclamation “I was Home!”

Between this span of 2,368 days Medical Officer Dr. Wilhelm Mauss gives an account of the war through his eyes. During the Westfeldzug he serves as a divisional doctor with the 20. Infantry Division and during the war in the East he sees action near Smolensk, Schlüsselburg, Tichwin, Lake Ilmen, Wolchow, and Welikije Luki. He leaves the Russian Front in March 1943 and is transferred to the XIV. Panzer Korps in Italy. He surrenders to American troops on 4 May 1945 and goes into captivity where he serves again as a doctor in a hospital in Udine/Italy. He is released nearly two years later to return home.
    Dr. Mauss opened a medical practice in 1948 and died in 1954 at the age of
    55 years.
    Oberstarzt ( Colonel) Dr. Mauss, who already served in the Great War and was awarded with the EK2 received the EK 1. Class and the German Cross in Silver during his service in the Second World War.
    His diary, extending over 453 pages and illustrated with documents, photos, personal sketches is an extremely unique contemporary document.

The book can be bought directly from Mook wi Publishing at www.20pzgrendiv.eu or in the USA from Aberdeen Bookstore (www.aberdeenbookstore.com)
    Attached Files
    B&D PUBLISHING
    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

It appears to be a very interesting book. He died young at 55.
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thanks Dietrich for your review of the book.

More information and review pages can be found at:
      http://www.20pzgrendiv.eu/Vorschause...orld War 2.htm

Anything concerning the 20th infantry division (mot) at: www.20pzgrendiv.eu

All the best from Holland

Roger

Comment

Looks fascinating, Dietrich. Thank you for posting.

Comment

Just for the record

This book is available in German and in English

More on the 20th infantry division (of who Dr. Mauss was divisional doctor) at
          www.20pzgrendiv.eu

Cheers
          Roger

Comment

Ost Front

We can only imagine what the carnage was like in the East he was certainly a busy man.This book looks fascinating

Comment

It does look an interesting book. I am going to order a copy.
              Operation Cobra Normandy 44

In order to maintain peace we must prepare for war.

Comment

Just to inform you all:

I have more books regarding the division of Dr Mauss available in English

Do not hesitate to visit: http://www.20pzgrendiv.eu/Mook%20wi%...%20english.htm

Cheers
                Roger

Comment

I finished reading the book yesterday.

It is interesting to read of his faith in the Fuhrer until the very end. Early in captivity he is shown films of the death camps as well as being made aware of the deplorable actions of many of the leading leaders of the Third Reich. At that point he came to the conclusion that he and many others had had their trust betrayed.

I took notes as I read the book as there were specific events or pieces of information he wrote about that I may later want to retrieve easily.

Since I collect Army Officer Old and New Style white tunics 3 photos of him wearing the New Style White tunic in Russia immediately caught my attention. These white tunics were intended for sporting events and other informal events, not for field wear. But as occasionally happened, Officers wore them in the field during the hot summer months as a light-weight alternative to the hot field gray wool service tunic.

In one paragraph, as winter approaches in Russia, he writes of sending some items home, to include his white tunic.

Comment

Hi Tim

Much is still present within the Mauss family, unfortunately no uniforms. Dr. Mauss was buried in uniform, but that one was field grey.

I can look for you if there are more photos of Dr Mauss in the white uniform if you like

Cheers
                    Roger

www.20pzgrendiv.eu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X