Gordon Williamson's EK book - a preliminary review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gordon Williamson's EK book - a preliminary review

I have just received my copy of Gordon Williamson's new book The Iron Cross of 1939 and I spent a good part of this afternoon going through it. To say that this book is a treat is a massive understatement. Delayed in publication for several months, it is more than worth the wait. Simply put, this book is incredible!

First off, the book is up to the usual publishing standards that one has come to expect from Bender Publishing. It is a top-quality product. And with almost 500 pages crammed full of not only written information but also hundreds and hundreds of color and black and white photographs, illustrations, and award documents, it is not just comprehensive, it is overwhelming!

The book begins with (for perspective) a fair historical background of the EK from 1813 to 1914. Then it has information on manufacturing techniques and makers' marks. From there it moves on to entire separate chapters on all classes of the award as well as individual chapters on the Repetition Clasps, the German Cross, the Honor Roll Clasps, Preliminary Certificates, Urkunden, 1957 "New Form" crosses, reproductions, Knight's Cross award statistics, and a glossary. I don't think there is any variation of this award or its offshoots that hasn't been covered -- and thoroughly. (I was personally pleased to see one piece illustrated in the book that is now in my collection!)

This book is definitely a "must-have." It will provide many informative hours, not just for aficionados of the Iron Cross of 1939 but for any student of German World War Two awards.

I'm sure that there will be more commentary from forum members on this work in the coming weeks and months (and there might be some bones of contention) but my initial reaction is, "Great job, Gordon! I mean, really!"

George
    Last edited by George Stimson; 09-12-2002, 08:33 PM.
    George

George,

My sincere thanks for your kind comments. I still haven't got my copy of the book yet, Roger tells me it is in transit to me right now, so up to now all I have seen are photocopies of page layouts, but I would like to publically thank Roger for the huge amount of work he put into transforming piles of photos and thousands of words of text into a highly polished finished article. The credit for what I hope everyone will think is the very pleasing appearance of the final article is entirely Rogers.

I am sure, as you suggest, that there may be a few bones of contention, and I am perfectly willing to ask Roger to pull any item from future editions if I am persuaded against any particular piece.

Gordon

Comment

I agree with George....

George said it all. Great work Gordon!

Also, thumbs up to Bender. I place my order with him on 9-20 and had the book in my hands on 9-24.

Regards,
      Dave

Comment

received it also

Hello,

Yeps i might call myself also the lucky owner of this new must for German WWII period collectors

Im still bussy in looking , reading, looking, reading, comparing, etc ... so comments will come later from my part but i can only recomend it towards fellow collectors

Cordial Greetings and keep up the good work
        my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Comment

new EK book , spotting

Hello,

as said before this day i just received my copy of your new excellent book Gordon and bla bla bla ( im really pleased o have it )

I have one remark sofar regarding a little typing mistake on page 77 ( subject : iron cross 2 nd class ) , the toppicture shows a EK 2 suspension ring with LDO number 56 => in the text that go's along with it it says :

Maker's code " 56 " ( J.E.Hammer & Sohne )
          THis seems a little printing mistake IMHO as the LDO number 56 is attributed towards : Robert Hauschild , Pforzheim .

And yes the code " 55 " is for J.E.Hammer & Sohne, Geringswalde

Just a minor mix up and hopefully corrected in the feature

Cordial Greetings and hoping to be of some help ,

Comment

another Typo

Hello,

Wel after some reading I just found another typo in the new book on page 417 .

On page 416 is the large and elaborate award document for the Oakleaves with swords shown awarded towards " Oberstleutnant Alfons Konig .

On page 417 is the casette shown for the same award document , in text that goes along with this superb piece the rank of our Oberstleutnant is wrong typed !!! => namely " OBERLEUTNANT .

A very minor Typo from just 2 letters ( ST ) but looking into the German military rank system this is a big difference

Cordial Greetings

Comment

Oh... that one...

Oh, the typo I was talking about was on page 138, Deschler is spelled DESCHLKER under the LDO listings...

Sorry to give you a hard time Gordon, we are just ribbing you, it is actually a FANTASTIC work.

What I meant about mistakes was... are there any FAKE/BAD crosses in the book? Noone has said a word about authenticity....

Dave

Comment

Hey on page 90, "Crhis Boonzaier" who is this guy?

This is a great book, it is now added to the must haves for the EK collector.
                Greg

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X