BrunoMado

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Globocniks Men in Italy, 1943-45 : Abteilung R and the SS-Wachmannschaften of the OAK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Globocniks Men in Italy, 1943-45 : Abteilung R and the SS-Wachmannschaften of the OAK

This book due to arrive in December 2016:

Globocniks Men in Italy, 1943-45 : Abteilung R and the SS-Wachmannschaften of the Operationszone Adriatisches Kustenland

Hardback English
    By (author) Stefano Di Giusto , By (author) Tommaso Chiussi

& is on bookdepository (freeshipping) pre-order :

https://www.bookdepository.com/Globo.../9780764352546

Really looking forward to this !

When Odilo Globocnik, SS and police leader in Lublin, Poland, transferred to the Italian OZAK region in late 1943, he took with him a group of around 100 men who had run the notorious Aktion Reinhard extermination campsBelzec, Treblinka, Sobiborwhere 1.5 million people (mostly Jews) had been killed. This book describes the little-known activities of this group, known as Abteilung R (Reinhard), in the OZAK region from 1943 to 1945. Here they not only continued persecuting Jews, but also became involved in the fight against the armed resistance movement, participated in security tasks, anti-partisan operations, retaliation operations including arresting and killing of civilians, and ran the infamous Risiera di San Sabba police camp in Trieste. The book also covers the SS-Wachmannschaften (SS guards units) of the OZAK, military units that were formed locally and had links with Abteilung R. There are also chapters on uniforms and insignia, as well as photographs related to anti-partisan operations in the region.

Pretty sure this will be must-have.

Thanks for announcing it.

Best wishes,
    ~ Mike

Comment

This book arrived during the week after being on pre-order since October. I have to say I am very impressed with the book, it's beautifully produced with a glossy hardback cover & dust jacket. The orientation of the chapters, the graphical design, typography, layout & production values are high quality. This is not a photograph-only book but it does illustrate & supplement the research with rare and interesting pictures throughout, covering the activities of Globocnik's men (primarily in units Abteilung R & SS Wachmanschaften) in North Italy's Anti Partisan landscape through 1943-1945.

Other Polizei units covered include :

I.Btl./SS-Pol.Rgt. "Bozen"
      Polizei-Freiwilligen Btl."Pola"
      I/II/III/IV Pol.Freiw.Btl "Italien"
      SS-Pol.Rgt.12
      SS.-u. Pol.Kdr. Istrien
      Croatian Chetniks in the Ozak

& many more.

Pictures include armour, ambush aftermath, massacres, patrols, parades and quite a few 'Then and Now' images. The maps are a mixture of colour and contemporary and it includes a new map with an overlay of casualties, engagements, destroyed village locations as well as a path way to drive some of the 'Then and Now' locations for yourself.

North Italy late war anti-partisan warfare is a subject I knew mainly from Antonio Munoz's 'Hitlers Green Army Volume 1', or some Osprey books which are introductory and limited. This book is far more detailed, focusing on specific units within one area to a great level of detail. From a beginners perspective the detail level and the way it is introduced to the reader work well, the context, formation and deployment as well as the personnel and conditions on the ground leading up to the anti partisan warfare operations and ambushes are all relayed in an accessible way at a generally even pace. There is an amount of detail which is above what might be expected. In many books you'd get to know where an officer was based but in this case you are given the address of where an officer moved to & from & when. The reason he moved (air raid), and the fact that the previous house had been taken from a Jewish family. There is an immersive level of detail here and the amount of research behind that was extensive. Having said that there are areas where for a specific unit in a set time frame all documentation is lost and the authors are straightforward with the reader on this aspect where it arises.

You could read this casually while enjoying the pictures or you could go through it in detail reference by reference (in the 30 pages of detailed footnotes). The appendices and footnotes are well thought out. There is a listing of personnel which includes rank, location and notes but my main gripe is that there is no personnel, location or unit index which would are always required. There are appendices on ancillary local units, a very detailed section on the uniforms of Abteilung R, SS-Wachmannschaften in the OZAK/Selbschutzverbande & militias from Oberkrain and Untersteirmark, equipmnent, stamps, as well as a conversion listing of place names in Italian, Croatian and Slovenian which are all useful.

Another aspect of this book which was a positive is that in cases where the exact truth is unclear (e.g. the context to the massacre of Avasinis) individual, overlapping and contradictory accounts are all included for the reader to judge. The authors give the reader credit enough to judge rather than make that decision for them by excluding information or filling in the gaps with guesswork. In comparison to some books in recent years this is refreshing in my view. I'd highly recommend this work and looking forward to more SS & SS Polizei related books from these authors.

Here is some more information from the publisher :

English text, 240 pages, size 7" x 10", bound, 402 photos, maps and documents

When Odilo Globocnik, SS and police leader in Lublin, Poland, transferred to the Italy (in the region then called by the Germans "Operational Zone Adriatic Littoral", in short OZAK, which included north-eastern Italy and parts of present western Slovenia and Croatia) in late 1943, he took with him a group of around 100 men who had run the notorious Aktion Reinhard extermination camps - Belzec, Treblinka, Sobibor - where 1.5 million people (mostly Jews) had been killed.

This book describes the little-known activities of this group, known as Abteilung R, in the OZAK region from 1943 to 1945. Here they not only continued persecuting Jews, but also became involved in the fight against the armed resistance movement, participated in security tasks, anti-partisan operations, retaliation operations including arresting and killing of civilians, and ran the infamous Risiera di San Sabba police camp in Trieste.

One section deals with the Lipa massacre (a village between Trieste in italy and Rjieka in Croatia) of 30 April 1944, where almost 300 civilians were killed, arguing that elements of this unit were responsible for the massacre. The possibility is also analysed that Abteilung R was also responsible for the massacre in Avasinis (a village north of Udine) where 51 civilians were killed on 2 May 1945.

The book also covers the SS-Wachmannschaften (SS guards units) of the OZAK, military units that were formed locally and had links with Abteilung R.

Chapters are included on uniforms and insignia, weapons and vehicles, as well as many photographs related to anti-partisan operations in the region.
      Chapter listing from one of the authors :

This is on Bookdepository with free delivery worldwide for 31 EUR

https://www.bookdepository.com/Globo...?ref=grid-view

Regards,
      Gerard

Comment

Gli uomini di Globocnick

Congratulations to Stefano and Tommaso, a really great book

Waffen211

Comment

Hi,

is there any news testimonies, pictures or infos about Wirth and Globocnik, especially about their death ?

See You

Vince

Comment

It's not a biography but there is information on both within the text and footnotes.

Comment

Hello
              The book is not specifically on Globocnik, rather on Abteilung R and the SS-Wachmannschaften. So the role of Wirth and his death are of course discussed.

There are a lot of unknown infos and also some new photos of Globocnik and Wirth during their stay in the OZAK region.
              There are also new photos of Lerch, Weimann, Mundhenke, Oberhauser etc.etc..
              Several Abteilung R photos, although some were already known, have been put in the proper context and in many cases we found out where they were taken "Then", and "Now" photos are provided.
              There's also a very detailed appendix with several unseen photos related to Abteilung R and the SS-Wachmannschaften uniforms and insignia, such as for instance some recently identified SS sleeve national shields, which should be very interesting for militaria researchers and collectors too.
              Stefano

Comment

Received my copy a week ago. It is an excellent book. I'm very impressed with the researched information and photographic material. Congrats to the authors - a job well done.

Peter

Comment

Hi,

many thanks Stefano and Mil-Archive for the additional infos !

See You

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchVolunteer View Post
                    Hi,

is there any news testimonies, pictures or infos about Wirth and Globocnik, especially about their death ?

See You

Vince
                    Hi Vince -

This book has a photograph in which Globocnik's corpse can be seen:

https://www.amazon.de/Zwei-Millionen...ords=Globocnik

Best regards,

George

Comment

Originally posted by Mil-Archive View Post
                      It's not a biography but there is information on both within the text and footnotes.
                      I have just ordered my copy of this book yesterday and now look forward to what information, history, uniform detail, plus the images when it arrives.

However at this stage, can you please tell me if this unit (units ?) surrendered in Trieste in 1945 ?

Many thanks,

Chris

Comment

Chris as you mentioned the surrender in Trieste in 1945, do you know more about the fate (in general) of the German Trieste POWs that surrendered to the (encircled) ANZACS. I always tried to find out if Germans were handed over to the Yugoslav partisans. If you know more I´d be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by o.r.k. View Post
                          Chris as you mentioned the surrender in Trieste in 1945, do you know more about the fate (in general) of the German Trieste POWs that surrendered to the (encircled) ANZACS. I always tried to find out if Germans were handed over to the Yugoslav partisans. If you know more I´d be interested.

Hello o.r.k.,

I have posted some information and photos on these threads;

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru....php?p=7145396

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=Trieste

And here is a good overview of how the German surrendered, courtesy of 22nd Battalion, 2NZEF association history;

On 2 May 1945 'A' and 'C' Companies of the 22nd Battalion, 2NZEF raced northward along the Adriatic Coast towards Trieste. 'B' Company had been left behind for a few days in Venice. Their mission was two-fold, to enter Trieste and end the war in Italy, and to get there ahead of other elements of the 8th Army, in particular Div Cav, 2NZEF who were taking the high road above the town. Despite some reports in the official history to the contrary, it was 22 Battalion that entered the city first. As they entered, they found that the Yugoslav partisans had already arrived, and dealing with them complicated the issues.

Miramare Castle lies on the coast about 5km south of Trieste. It was the HQ for a German Division (WH troops with KM Coastal Art ?), but they quietly surrendered to A Company of the 22nd, prompted in part by a severe pounding of the surrounding air defenses by several squadrons of bombers. The large German flag that flew over the castle was removed by A Company, who all signed their names on it. The flag is now on permanent display in the Waiouru Army Museum in New Zealand.

The 22nd Battalion was stopped at a number of points on the road into Trieste, clearing roadblocks and dealing with Germans both (KM & WH), only some of whom wished to surrender. Eventually LTCOL Haddon Donald was approached by a group of Germans which included an officer (KM ?) and radio operator. They accompanied Haddon into Trieste, navigating and advising local German units of their arrival.

The 22nd Battalion was accompanied into Trieste by the Lancers and some armour, both under Lt-Col Donald's command. They were welcomed by the Triestini, but the Yugoslav partisans were less keen.

The Tribunale Building, for Colonel Donald and the New Zealanders who first arrived in Trieste, the Tribunale (Law Courts) building was occupied by belligerent SS officers who refused to surrender. To quote the Official History:

"At the Tribunale Donald could not persuade the garrison commander to surrender; he was an SS officer who was still humbugging undecided and was apparently under the influence of alcohol. Donald therefore arranged with the Yugoslav commander that tanks of C Squadron of 19 Regiment and C Squadron of the 20th would surround the building and give it a 20-minute pounding with their guns and Brownings. First the square was cleared of all troops and civilians, and at 7 p.m. 18 tanks at ranges of from 20 to 50 yards blew gaping holes in the walls and through the windows of the Tribunale. The Germans (SS & SS Police) took shelter in the cellars and had few casualties, but the Yugoslavs entered the building and by morning had rounded up some 200 (who were shown no mercy)."

Lt Col Haddon Donald, commander of the 22 Battalion, recalled:

"....I decided to try on my own to persuade them to surrender. With no flag of truce available, I made do with my handkerchief, which was white and reasonably large... I knew enough Italian and German to be able to explain who I was... and we would give them safe conduct back to a British prisoner of war camp.....They stepped back inside and slammed the door."
                          "I was fast losing patience with the SS types in the Tribunale, but decided to have one more go at offering then safe conduct.... Terry McLean, my adjutant, could speak some German and by this time an Austrian civilian had joined us to act as an interpreter. The three of us, under a better constructed white flag marched once more across the Square to parley with the Germans."
                          "I gave the order to fire and keep firing until we had blown several entries into the building.... The tank boys were having a wonderful time. Never had they had such an easy target and nobody was shooting back at them."

The shelling of the Tribunale was one of the few incidents of damage inflicted by the New Zealand troops on arrival at Trieste.

Castle San Giusto, overlooking Trieste and its harbor is the ancient castle of San Giusto, lying next to the cathedral of San Guisto. The castle housed a German garrison (KM & KM Coast Art) and as they occupied a commanding position over the city, Haddon Donald decided they needed to be removed as soon as possible. He sent C Company, led by Major Lloyd Cross, up to the castle where they met the CO, an Admiral. He was willing to surrender but the Yugoslav partisans had other ideas, threatening to shoot any person, German or Allied, who left the building. As Major Cross only had a depleted company, and no tanks or armour, he decided to stay in the castle until relieved. The Admiral pointed out that the Kiwis only had a small force whereas the Yugoslavs had a heavily armoured force. Discretion prevailed, and although the Germans piled most of their arms into a room, sentries were posted around the castle that night of Kiwis alternating with Germans - a most bizarre end to the war. But as Major Cross pointed out to the Admiral, his troops had not eaten since breakfast and they had not brought rations with them. The Admiral sat them down to eat with his men. The menu was stew - made from horsemeat. Major Cross dined with the German officers, and they had stew - from horsemeat, washed down, not with Italian wine or good brandy, but Scotch whisky, the last remnants from the fall of Tobruk.

The official history records the facts:

A company of the 22nd Battalion proceeded to the 750-year-old castle of San Giusto, the ancient citadel of the port, to receive the surrender of nine officers and 260 men. In the central courtyard, the company drew up opposite the paraded garrison, and returned the salute in a ceremony which had all the appurtenances of a military occasion. Bullets from Yugoslav snipers pattered against the old walls. As the prisoners moved out the following day partisans demanded that the Germans be handed over to them. Tactful handling prevented trouble.

After the fall of the Tribunale Building, and the formal surrender of all German forces in Italy to Col Donald, there was still a garrison of German soldiers at the Villa Opicina, overlooking Trieste. The German commander sent a message to Col Donald that he wished to surrender to the New Zealanders, so Haddon sent part of A Company with some tanks and trucks up to the Villa. Once there they found the place surrounded by Jugoslav forces who wished to capture the Germans. During the negotiations, the Jugoslavs lobbed a mortar into the town square wounding one Kiwi and killing Lance Corporal John Russell, 297309, buried Udine Cemetery, Italy. He became the last New Zealand casualty of the war, and the first casualty of the Cold War that developed from the standoff between Juoslav and Allied forces in Trieste.

The men of the 22 Battalion were particulary aggrieved at the loss of L/Cpl Russell. It is a lasting testament to their professionalism that they did not return fire.

And after it was all over....

There was time to relax (but not too much with the Jugoslav partisans still causing trouble). There was a famous Ball, held at Miramare Castle,

Chris

Comment

Thanks for your help Chris, there are so many contradicting stories, but I believe I figured it out with your help. On route the ANZACS took 615 POW at Miramare and many small POW groups, at San Giusto castle they took another 182 POW, they too had a lucky postwar time. At the Tribunale the WSS (including the SS men of Globocnik?))had a last stand refusing to surrender so with the help of the ANZAC tanks the Jugoslav Partisans stormed it, took 200 POW but surely there was no mercy on them. Genmaj Linkenbach (north of Trieste HQ)with 824 men also made it safely to the ANZAC Montcalfone POW cages. At Villa Opcina the ANZACS were surrounded by hostile partisans themselves and handed over their German POWs due to the danger of an inter-allied battle (after a night of guarding eating and talking together). A further 6.000 Germans made it across the sea into ANZAC captivity (Latisania cages) and the rest had the grim fate of being Jugoslav POWs. So all in all there weren´t so many hand-overs as I heard. The Germans didn´t really resist the ANZAC offensive at Trieste in order to become POWs in the West.

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                              I have just ordered my copy of this book yesterday and now look forward to what information, history, uniform detail, plus the images when it arrives.

However at this stage, can you please tell me if this unit (units ?) surrendered in Trieste in 1945 ?

Many thanks,

Chris
                              Hello
                              Abteilung R managed to retreat to Austria with Globocnik and disbanded there.
                              The fate of the SS-Wachmannschaften (which were mostly made up of local personnel) is not very clear, as far as it is known some disbanded in Trieste, some along the way to Austria.
                              Stefano

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X