Private Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private Army

Hi Guys, I am presently reading "Private Army" by Vladimir Peniakoff. I have been loaned the book, a first edition from 1950, by a friend. I thought that I had read this book when I was at school but I was mistaken. I must say that I am enjoying it very much. It covers the exploits of the author and his unit, better known as "Popski's Private Army".

Cheers, Ade.

I agree - an excellent read. Popski's writing style was engaging. If you haven't already, I suggest reading Willett's biography of Popski, entitled Popski and Park Yunnie's Warriors on Wheels. Popski was a fairly complex character and Willett's book goes some distance in de-mystifing Popski.

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave, thank you for the recommendations. I have not read them and once I have finished this one I will search them out

The Pathfinder Vets of XXI Indep. Para. Coy whose reunions I attend have very fond memories of Popski's Private Army. At a camp in North Africa they were "next door" to PPA. They told me that instead of bugle calls they used small explosions as wake up calls Popski also got the XXI out of a tight spot during the fighting in Italy by arriving just in time in their heavily armed Jeeps and beating off a German attack.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Old thread...but I just finished this book "Popski's Private Army".
        Very interesting read! I recommend it also!

Here's an image of the PPA operating in Italy, September 1943.
        Standard PPA equipment;
        Jeeps lacking windshields with forward facing 50 cal machine guns!
        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X