Need WWII Atlas Recomendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need WWII Atlas Recomendation

I've found myself reading many excellently written books that lack decent maps. They speak of specific towns and battlefields but then never give you a context geographically.

I am looking for a good WWII atlas that convers the war in Europe. Preferably one with detailed maps for most of the major Western and Eastern front battles.

Would anyone have any recomendations?

thanks
    Jack T

Jack-

I love maps, so I've accumulated around 35 atlases of WW2 in Europe. What I've found in order to have good maps for use with reading books about the War is to get a good, large scale world atlas. It can be a new one, or a used one - it really doesn't matter much, though I'd recommend a pre-1991 (before the fall of the USSR) to get good coverage of the Communist Eastern Bloc. I found a nice one that was done by the Times of London that I found at a thrift store for $5. It was printed in the 1970s but it has all the towns and regions that I've ever needed on it.

What I also suggest is, when you're reading through a book, photocopy the maps from the atlas to have at hand. The copies are so you can draw on the maps - I really found that helpful for visualizing troop movements and determining why some battles were fought where they were because of terrain, etc.

As far as atlases of troop movements from the war, I have a couple good ones from the Eastern Front, but no really good ones from the Western Front during WW2. I'd like to find some though. I can provide you with titles if you're interested, though they're all in Russian.

One of the atlases that I had the hardest time finding was a good one of Berlin during the War. I finally found one (and paid a LOT for it) scanned it, and posted it up on my website. Here's a link:

http://www.forvalor.com/BerlinMaps.htm

If you have any questions, please feel free to drop me a PM.

--Dave

Comment

Thanks for the advice Dave. Sounds like you and I share a love of maps. Your right, I'm always trying to visualize the movement and the effect the geography had on the battle.

I'll try and keep my eye out for a modern Atlas to use for reference. Do you have any suggestion for an english language version of an Atlas showing unit movement? I noticed amazon has about 20-30 under "WWII atlas" but I've looked at several of them in the bookstore and found the quality and detail of the maps lacking.

By they way, great site. You've done some great research on your medals.

Jack T

Comment

Hi Jack.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I have a book called "War maps, campaigns and battles of WW2". Maybe not detailed enough for your expectations, but still a good reference (incl. troop-movements). It's written by Robin L. Sommer, ISBN 1-870461-10-X.

KR
        Peter

Comment

Hi Jack.

Try this website. http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/web...ar%20index.htm.
          The maps are very good. I think you can buy the maps as a book as well. It's called something like "West Point Atlas of WWII".

If you find anything else, please let me know. I'm a "map-oholic" myself.

Kind Regards
          Jakob

Originally posted by Jack T
          I've found myself reading many excellently written books that lack decent maps. They speak of specific towns and battlefields but then never give you a context geographically.

I am looking for a good WWII atlas that convers the war in Europe. Preferably one with detailed maps for most of the major Western and Eastern front battles.

Would anyone have any recomendations?

thanks
          Jack T

Comment

Thanks for the info Peter and Jules. The site you pointed out Jules has some great maps.

I'll post whatever Atlas or Atlas's I end up purchasing.

Thanks

Jack T

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X