Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monte Cassino Book???

Gents,
    I am looking for a book on Monte Cassion. I don't want to read about all of Italy, but let me know if there is something out there on this battle. Something from the German perspective would be super, but I will take any really great read.
    Thanks!
    MArc

Hi Marc,
    I have five or more books on the battle I will post them later tonight.
    Jody

Originally posted by Flak88
    Gents,
    I am looking for a book on Monte Cassion. I don't want to read about all of Italy, but let me know if there is something out there on this battle. Something from the German perspective would be super, but I will take any really great read.
    Thanks!
    MArc

Comment

Marc,

Try this

Monte Cassino: The Story of One of the Hardest-fought Battles of World War Two
      Matthew Parker

Gents,
      Thanks!
      MArc

Comment

Thanks guys. Jody - I look forward to seeing what you suggest!
        Marc

Comment

Oberstleutnant Rudolph Boehmler (commander of I./FJR3 during Cassino) wrote the book "Monte Cassino" in 1956. I have an extra copy "auf Deutsch".

General von Senger und Etterlin also wrote "Neither Fear Nor Hope" in English in 1964. His memoirs buy heavily covers Cassino.

Here is the front of one copy of Monte Cassino given to me by the FJ in the photo, a veteran of the battle.
          Attached Files
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Matthew Parker's book on Monte Cassino gives a very good look at this hard fought battle from all the participants viewpoints.

Comment

Willi, does Monte Cassino by Herr Rudolph Boemler come in English. I would like to read it.

Comment

i agree that this book is the one you want to read first....recently published and a definitive look at the 4 seperate battles of the campaign

mike

Originally posted by jnoble
                Matthew Parker's book on Monte Cassino gives a very good look at this hard fought battle from all the participants viewpoints.

Comment

Rudolph Boemler's is IMO, THE book on Monte Cassino. I just finished Parker's book and I do agree that it is a very good book, but Boemler offers a whole different perspective on the battle(s).

Yes, its available in English - scarce, but out there. I suggest starting a used book search with Amazon.
                  If only I could be half the man my dog thinks I am

Comment

I found the Bohmler book. It is $25 and $25 for shipping from New Zealand - English version. So is it worth $50 or should I get Parker's book?

Thanks!
                    Marc

Comment

What about this one, I thought it was a good read....

Cassino: Portrait of a Battle
                      by Fred Majdalany
                      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Comment

I'm looking for the German perspective...

Comment

Anyone see this? http://www.deutscher-tonfilm.de/dgtvmc1.html

Comment

Hello can anuyone tell me what other English language memoirs Herr Boemler has written. I cannot read German but wish to read any other English language translated memoirs by Herr Rudolf Boemler.

Thanks
                            TW

Comment

I'm looking for the German perspective...
                              Did you change your mind from your opening post?

Something from the German perspective would be super, but I will take any really great read.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X