The Purple Heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Purple Heart

Today I purchased a copy of Frederic L. Borch's and F.C. Brown's copy of "The Purple Heart A History of America's Oldest Military Decoration". I found this book to be very informative on the history of the Purple Heart medal, and has interesting information regarding construction, various pin attachments, and even has a breakdown of the number of medals issued by branch of service for WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and up to 1995.

I would recommend this book to those who has an interest in the Purple Heart.

Roy,

Thanks for the post re this book a couple of things firstly where did you get and how much.... secondly as a non PH collector, but I would like to add a few at some point, is it worth buying it as a novice to this field, or should I be starting with something a little more simpler?

Having heard a lot of the horror stroies over in the US forum, any help/reference will be great, but will it be too heavy for a novice??

Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

Hello Simon,

I found this book at the Great Chickamauga National Civil War Show in Dalton, GA last week, but the fellow I bought it from is the owner of "North South Civil War Trader" magazine. The website is: www.nstcivilwar.com. I've just looked at what they offer for sale, but they do not show another copy of the purple heart book. One may send them an email to see if they can get more in.

I purchased this book for $20.00. Not being a purple heart collector, (I've only one current issue medal) I wanted to learn about what type to purchase that would be of the type, and vintage for the one that was awarded to a relative during the Korean War.

I really think that a novice can follow this book without any problems. It covers the history of how this awarded came to be. Chapter III will in my opinion, be the most important chapter from a collectors point of view. It covers the design, and manufacture of the medals, and breaks down the medals by types I, II, and III, and also explains the army and navy versions. The same chapter deals with certificates, and issue boxes.

This book is easy to follow. The book is published by Borch and Westlake Publishing.

Comment

Roy, thanks for your help and good precise of the contents, it sounds just the right sort of book for me, nice and easy with documents as well..... makes me feel at home
        Regards
        Si

Comment

If anyone else reads this and trys to contact them, just tried their general info email address and it bounce like a rubber band, if you do make contact pls let me know

Thanks in advance
          Regards
          Si

Comment

Bad news boys. It looks like the book is out of print. Tried ABE, BookFinder, Amazon, no luck.

Comment

Charlie

I've tried a couple as well and can't find it anywhere

So if anyone has a copy for sale drop me a line
              Regards
              Si

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X