Lakesidetrader

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Career, trial and trial of SS-Sturmbannführer Gustav Knittel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deeply impressed and proud to number you among my friends.

Bravo, Timo.

~ Mike

Comment

mmm...no reply yet from Leib1

Sadly, quality wasn't good enough but here's an unpublished image of Leidreiter.

Comment

Here is my review of this superb book that I originally posted on Librarything-

The availability of quality biographies on Officers of the Waffen SS is still sadly quite rare despite hundreds of books that have been wriiten on the Waffen SS over years. The author of this fine book Timo R. Worst has been of the few researchers to break the mould with this new groundbreaking book- Career, Crimes and Trial of SS-Sturmbannführer Gustav Knittel, Commander of the Aufklärungsabteilung ’LSSAH'.
        The book is a biography of Gustav Knittel who joined the SS in the 1930's and rose to command the Leibstandarte's reconnaissance battalion in 1943 taking over from the more well known Kurt Meyer. Knittel was tried after the war for horrific warcrimes commited by his unit during The Battle of the Bulge in the Malmedy massacre trial (U.S. vs. Valentin Bersin, et al.) in 1946 alongside many other Leibstandarte soldiers including the infamous Jochen Peiper.
        Alongside the story of Knittel ,the author gives the reader a detailed look into the men and history of the Aufklärungsabteilung of the ’LSSAH'. Timo Worst spent years making contact with veterans of the Leibstandarte of all ranks, touring the battlefields of the Ardennes interviewing surviving witnesses and had contact with Knittel's survivng relatives to flesh out the book into a complete picture of events.
        Timo Worst has produced a meticulously researched book with footnotes of sources and well illustrated with photographs and good quality maps.This book is one of the most important biographies to come out in the last few years that gives a true "warts and all " look at a SS Officer and his unit.

Comment

is this book worth buying for info on the battle of the bulge

Comment

Originally posted by ironcross13 View Post
            is this book worth buying for info on the battle of the bulge
            It depends on the sort of info you'd be looking for. It describes the action of Kampfgruppe Knittel between Stavelot, Trois-Ponts and Coo in great detail, includes the action of the other battlegroups if related to the actions of Knittel and his men but isn't focused on the rest of the battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruimteaapje View Post
              It depends on the sort of info you'd be looking for. It describes the action of Kampfgruppe Knittel between Stavelot, Trois-Ponts and Coo in great detail, includes the action of the other battlegroups if related to the actions of Knittel and his men but isn't focused on the rest of the battle.
              Yeah they are interesting points along the Piper trail, So does it have eye witness accounts of people who still live in the area and wartime accounts of the crimes committed. also are there any SS vets that confirm the actions or crimes?
              Just wanted to know where the info for the book is from as it sounds like a interesting book.

Comment

There are plenty eye witness accounts from Belgians, Americans and Germans from a variety of sources: interviews in person and on the phone, trial records, the reports of investigation committees and written memoirs. Since the events took place almost 72 years ago, all but a few veterans and other eye witnesses I interviewed or provided written statements over the past 15 years have since passed away.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruimteaapje View Post
                  There are plenty eye witness accounts from Belgians, Americans and Germans from a variety of sources: interviews in person and on the phone, trial records, the reports of investigation committees and written memoirs. Since the events took place almost 72 years ago, all but a few veterans and other eye witnesses I interviewed or provided written statements over the past 15 years have since passed away.
                  Sounds very interesting thanks for the info.

Comment

The hardcover is now available from The Aberdeen Bookstore, for $70. See the link below:

http://www.aberdeenbookstore.com/boo...ngsabteilung-l

Comment

Just ordered a copy from Timo, should have had it done some weeks ago.

Comment

I'm glad I waited for the hardcover. Tom at Aberdeen had requested that Timo's printer provide a hardcover version, and I bought it there. The hardcover is a really sturdy product, with excellent production quality.

As to the content, I should point out first that I've known Timo for years. Thus, I've had the chance to preview sections of the manuscript. I had some idea of what I was purchasing. With that said, I had been eager to see the full picture, to learn how the pieces fit together.

What this book really does is show that the rotten core of the SS spread to every facet of the organization. Knittel served alongside men who had important roles in crimes against humanity. Waffen-SS veteran publications only portray these men during their time as frontline soldiers, but Timo gives the full story. The picture of the Leibstandarte isn't really a pretty one, but it is a good contrast to the HiAG version of its history.

The book is full of personal accounts by veterans. These show the reality of Eastern Front combat, in all its horror and brutality. They also demonstrate that by the time of the Normandy fighting, the Germans didn't really stand a chance. The soldiers couldn't openly admit that the war was lost, and the frustrations they felt were vented in a terrible way in the Stavelot area during December 1944.

Sure, the book has small errors. Every history book does, not least my own. These can be overlooked easily, as the book succeeds at putting a more human face on the Waffen-SS and the Leibstandarte. I highly recommend it to anyone interested the Waffen-SS, the Eastern Front, and the Battle of the Bulge.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcRikmenspoel View Post
                          What this book really does is show that the rotten core of the SS spread to every facet of the organization. Knittel served alongside men who had important roles in crimes against humanity. Waffen-SS veteran publications only portray these men during their time as frontline soldiers, but Timo gives the full story. The picture of the Leibstandarte isn't really a pretty one, but it is a good contrast to the HiAG version of its history.
                          The above point you mention is one I have followed for many years. The HiAG, was very much about recasting the image of the Waffen SS post-war. The many books they published are perhaps the best example of such efforts. Heer veteran organizations were no less active in this regard, but far more successful until of late. Most are works of sanitized history. Giving a more complete and rounded historiography was never an option. The lexicon of existing source material had it been used as Timo has done with his current work would have been too damning.
                          Last edited by Edward; 10-22-2016, 07:14 PM.

Comment

I recieved Timo's book just this afternoon and have just taken a quick flick through it and I do look forward to having time to read it in full.
                            I bought a copy of the hard back edition which IMO is really very well produced, "the quality of build" is very good - a solid good sized book.
                            maps and diagams are clearly presented and are easy to follow, photos - well illustrated and most are very clear ,this said as with all things quality of photos do vary but certainly no complaints. Font size is fine and the text is clean , clear and uncomplicated.
                            The biography will be in respect of the man himself will represent new information to me , I look forward to reading this book.
                            Today was a good "book day" for me as within half an hour of Timo's Eduardo Delgrado's new book on Kriegsmarine items arrived.

Timo , thank you .

Comment

Thanks for the kind remarks, Marc, Edward and James!

In line with the official HIAG approved history, the veterans also tried to dupe me with their stories about Knittel and his part in the crimes, as becomes clear from my replies in several old threads in the various internet forums, but between the lines the truth soon became clearer. Whilst continuing to stick to the HIAG mantras at meetings, veterans were more open in private conversations and sometimes very frank about what really happened. But apart from that, the information from the wealth of other sources actually revealed a very clear picture of what actually happened - both in the Ardennes, during the interrogations, the trial and during the attempts to get the sentences overturned.

Comment

Can one really blame the veterans? Yes, if the question was solely about history. Unfortunately, for many people, especially for people with agendas, WW2 is not a question of history, it is a vehicle to agitate their own ideologies (e.g. those who support massive flood of thirdworlders to Europe), and if possible, line their pockets with cash (e.g. through new jobs like "multiculture co-ordinators").
                                Probably the veterans dealing with Timo realized that he is not of the above crowd, he is actually interested in history as is.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 19 users online. 0 members and 19 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X