Yerger- Army volume + next books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yerger- Army volume + next books

Description of my next volume, following "Totenkopf" volume 2 that releases mid-June, as well as what is after that (assuming success with my big summer goal).

My designed copy with the other materials for the German Army volume are now being converted by Kim McSweeney for Helion & Co. Description and cover as follows:

"Honoring Those They Led" examines specific points and groups within a massive subject; Commanding Generals of WW II German field commands with those primarily studied being among those presented one or more of their highest combat decorations by Adolf Hitler. A lengthy opening chapter provides in-depth details on a diversity of subjects including specifics of the five senior ranks of the German Army, from Generalmajor to Generalfeldmarschall, that combined totaled some 2,000 officers. Information along with privately owned award documents are shown to fully understand the process and granting of Germany's highest awards for bravery or leadership; the Knight's Cross, German Cross in Gold, and Roll of Honor Clasp. Other topics include the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht, Oberkommando des Heeres, Generalstabes des Heeres, and their key personnel. Changes in command level responsibilities as the war progressed as a result of Hitler's appointments and operational planning are discussed. Encompassing all senior ranks, examples within the chapter include those from the largest group; officers who attained General rank after the war started with focus on those awarded one or more of their highest decorations for their initial command. Chapters follow on the primary advisors to field commanders; the First Staff Officers and Chiefs of Staff of higher commands. Then the presenting of awards by field commanders is discussed and the wartime status of recipients including numerous images of a field presentation of the Knight's Cross. Representing the countries allied with Germany; the decorated Spanish commanders of the 250.Infanterie Division are then detailed. With careers that include commands from Division to Heeresgruppe, 34 field commanders are then examined in individual chapters. All were recipients of the Oakleaves, Swords, or Diamonds to the Knight's Cross with visual details included of one or more of their award presentations by Hitler. With detailed military service specifics presented in this oversized-format volume, the data begins at the start of their lengthy military careers. Many joined the Army before WW I and saw combat in the Great War before serving with the Reichswehr that became the Wehrmacht on May 21, 1935. Details include assignments and units with their development, decorations, promotions, predecessors and successors. The information is enhanced with primarily previously unpublished images including autographed photos and award documents given to or signed by them. Among the material included are all the award and promotion documents from both World Wars given to a divisional commander of "Grossdeutschland." These nearly three dozen General ranks range from famous names to more obscure commanders who had significant impact in the field, their skills frequently resulting in being appointed as successors to more well-known officers in command appointments as the war progressed. A Gallery chapter concludes the volume, incorporating images and documents of personnel related to the various categories of the study that were not incorporated with the study. A wealth of information for both history readers and collectors. Glossary, bibliography, and name index for finding entries pertaining to more than 300 command personnel. Large format, hardbound, 260 pages with over 300 illustrations

Leaving in 2 weeks for the summer to complete the archive research for my first 2 of 5 volumes on the SS and Ordnungspolizei Main Offices; it's FAR cheaper to rent a VERY small cat-friendly apartment (with a pool) near the facility than to buy the insane volume of records I need to look through. And getting older I hate distance driving so better now rather than later. So won't be able to reply much until my data gaps filled, especially for the RSHA, and the texts for these 2 completed:

"The Main Command Offices of the SS and Ordnungspolizei; Hauptamt, Führungshauptamt, Hauptamt Ordnungspolizei, Rasse- und Siedlungshauptamt, Reichssicherheitshauptamt, Hauptamt Persönlicher Stab "Reichsführer-SS," Hauptamt SS-Gericht, Hauptamt Reichskommissar für die Festigung Deutschen Volksturms, Hauptamt Volksdeutsche Mittelstelle, Personalhauptamt, Dienstelle SS-Obergruppenführer Heissmeyer, and Wirtschafts- und Verwaltungshauptamt," volume 1, "1929-1940; The SS-Amt, SS-Hauptamt, and Creation of the SS-Führungshauptamt"

and

"The Main Command Offices of the SS and Ordnungspolizei; Hauptamt, Führungshauptamt, Hauptamt Ordnungspolizei, Rasse- und Siedlungshauptamt, Reichssicherheitshauptamt, Hauptamt Persönlicher Stab "Reichsführer-SS," Hauptamt SS-Gericht, Hauptamt Reichskommissar für die Festigung Deutschen Volksturms, Hauptamt Volksdeutsche Mittelstelle, Personalhauptamt, Dienstelle SS-Obergruppenführer Heissmeyer, and Wirtschafts- und Verwaltungshauptamt," volume 2, "SS Intelligence, Security, and Economics; The Reichssicherheitshauptamt and Wirtschafts- und Verwaltungshauptamt"

Best,
    Mark
    Attached Files

Comment

Most definitely looking forward to this!

Joe

Comment

Wow Mark, Looking forward to all your volumes. These look like they are going to be fantastic.

Mark Costa

Comment

Great stuff, Mark. Really looking forward to the Army volume!!

Comment

Congratulations. No denying the quality of the works, nor the dedication, diligence, and skill that go into their creation.

Regards,
            ~ Mike

Comment

Mark,

That is so awesome that you are finally doing works on the SS-Hauptamter, thank you! I've looked for years through Interlibrary Loans, including books from all over Europe and could never find anything outside of what Kurt Mehner did which is far from complete! Are these books going to be through Helion as well?

James

Comment

James:

There are some out-of-print books on some Main Offices though content, while good, not my focus. There is an English language volume on the VOMI but void of parts/aspects I focus on though its purpose, etc, explained and like my set/series is a primarily a text volume. A few RSHA volumes, all in German as far as copies I have, but generally focused on Kaltenbrunner or specific events/operations/narrow time periods.

While a partial guide, all of Mehner's vols are full of errors, big gaps reflected by no knowledge of where well-know personalities where; Kumm with "Das Reich," etc. Dozens of regimental commanders missing with Classic WSS units and wrong dates for most listed, etc. So not to be taken literally, rather a "partial (during limited periods) superficial and incomplete outline" at best.

I prefer to release 2 volumes at a time, some Main Offices being far larger with the first 2 covering those where interest started; Hauptamt and FHA covering VT, TV, and WSS and goes to end of FHA (titles already long as hell even though compacted)

RSHA the hardest research due to difficulty in finding signed documents by office and bureau heads to determine who headed what and when with constant changes. Hopefully Ordnungspolizei will be in volume 3 as both largest and generally overlooked.

I honestly haven't thought about a publisher; but never had any problem with multiple wanting whatever I do. But these are all 90+ % text, low readership numbers compared to commercial photo books, etc. And with current technology can do my self if I wish. While Helion allows me design control and basically any latitude possible, must revert to footnotes for these just due to content, how divided, etc. Reader needs to be able to read all related data on the same large format page (was zero option other than how "Totenkopf" was done in order to incorporate all data with numerous large sized photos, while Army volume has no notes).

But the Main Offices study not "light reading/story type" volumes that "Totenkopf" comes as close as any I've done to being. But rather reference books with paragraphs and pages of text to read but all Main Offices have hundreds of personnel whose individual careers must be separately explained.

So for general comparison a more expanded and more detailed version of how data presented in "Allgemeine-SS, The Commands, Units, and Leaders of the General SS."

With a list of some 400+ (thus far) more film records to search and make notes or copies from, much depends on how fast I am. I'm far from wealthy and at US $125 each in CD format impossible to buy them and must scan at the archive. They're only one cost aspect and while I don't give a damn what any project costs or takes; the reality is that all I have is literally all I have. And that "all" isn't the ability to purchase $90,000.00 in archive materials What I invested in "Totenkopf" vols 1 and 2 was like ever book; 3 or more times royalty paid in base materials without photo work and endless other costs so there is no "profit" even with the time invested being "free" along with money being a zero & crap motivator or consideration for me anyway.

Many records searched for Main Office data thus far had nothing or little compared to cost if bought, but those with a lot I obviously buy. Unfortunately, I am not a student so do not have use of any local area university inter-library loan programs that would make it all a LOT easier. As has been since my start; champagne effort and desire but a constant "beer" research wallet even though all extra money

But no even approximate print date until first 500 consecutive pages 100% done. Simply because my books have progressively gotten bigger, more complex, absorb more time each (Totenkopf for the division alone 900+ pages), also now fully design them as well. And of course collaborate with Ignacio on vol. 3 (Totenkopfstandarten), helping 2 other 1st time authors, while still getting 30-50 mails a week from collectors, readers, etc.

Time is the enemy and always has been. Won't get all I can do done due to health, age, etc but I copyright blocks as a contingency. I wanted my completed/designed 150 pages on the 1.SS-Infanterie Brigade (mot) in Totenkopf volume 3 so they copyrighted with rights to Ignacio for use with the other parts of that volume should I "dirt nap" (everyone does eventually).

But even without the large Main Offices project in process; Totenkopf vol. 2 will be out in June; its first chapter among my own favorite things written. And the Army volume on the horizon; Helion and Kim McSweeney sent me 125 designed pages (today) so guess they are eager too. I let one close friend outside the US read a designed copy of "Honoring Those They Led" and assume he'll comment when time allows and he sees the thread.
                Thanks to all for your continued support and interest. All from me on here for awhile, found my progress far better when I spend no time on the web that easily becomes a major time factor.

Best
                Mark

Comment

Thank you Mark for such a thorough and detailed explanation, much appreciated! Though I like photos like everyone else, my main focus has always been reference/and or documentation. I would take that a thousand times over any photo book. I always enjoy learning new details that I can add to this or that topic and/or individual. I have read the Vomi book you are referring to and was rather informative. Your right, I am assuming RSHA and WVHA would be most difficult to cover but I am also interested in a good breakdown of the SS-Hauptamt and SS-Fuehrungshauptamt, especially its several Inspektorate. A nice explanation and breakdown of Hauptamt SS-Gericht would also be most welcome

James

Comment

I have been very fortunate in reviewing the completed draft of Totenkopf Vol.2 and the Army book. This is due to Mark Yerger recognising me as a so called “test reader”. That is someone who can advise him from a readers perspective. Simply put I am one of those army of people who let the likes of Mark Yerger do all the work and then I buy and read their published product. I am in my 50s now and I’ve been buying and reading 100s of books in English and German on the SS, Third Reich, Military & Political leaders, etc. since I was about 12 years old. When I look around my library and study which is wall to wall books I sometimes regret many of the books I have purchased. I should have learned my lesson with many of the authors/researchers because the years have proved – once a bad author/researcher always a bad author/researcher. One author/researcher of which I have all his publications is Yerger. For my field of study he has never let me down from his modest biography of Paul Hausser published exactly 30 years ago to his now upcoming publications (i.e: volume 2 “TOTENKOPF” and his Army Generals book: “Honoring Those They Led” ). These books really are outstanding, lavishly illustrated and packed with information based on the all important primary sources. I can’t wait to purchase the finished product.
                    For what my opinion is worth - from a readers perspective; these books are a must have for anyone with a serious interest on the history of the armed forces and personalities of the Third Reich. You won’t be disappointed.

Peter
                    Melbourne / Australia

Comment

Design done that Kim really liked as I had to come up with another new format to present the data as have no footnotes in the volume.

Below selected as rear cover, happy another one done. Having posted the overall description will wait till release for full Table of Contents.

Some readers need an occasional surprise.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X