X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book-Brittany-Battle for Brest

1944-Americans in Brittany:The Battle for Brest
    by Johnathon Gawne

Excellent description of the Brittany Campaign. This is one of those campaigns that gets overlooked sometimes and I have not seen that many good pieces on it or the Battle of Brest. The author used an unusual style for the chapters. He broke them down by unit.

1. Brittany- (overview and history of the peninsula up to 44)
    2. 4th Armored Division
    3. Task Force A
    4. 6th Armored Division
    5. 83rd Infantry Division
    6. Task Force B
    7. Rangers and Task Force Sugar
    8. The Opposing Sides
    9. The Artillery War
    10. 8th Infantry Division
    11. 29th Infantry Division
    12. 2nd Infantry Division
    13. In the City
    14. The Crozon Peninsula
    15. The Fighting is Over

Vivid descriptions of the quick campaign up the peninsula and then the slogging match for Brest and the surrounding forts. The book is only 160 pages, but is quite large size wise. The author consulted heavily with veterans and their stories and pictures are shown throughout. The book is heavily illiustrated. Detailed maps and org charts are shown as well as short bio's on commanders both US and German. Also shown are pictures of uniforms and equipment from both sides, but the book is foremost a history book. Does a good breakdown on the units involved from both sides. Definately worth the money.

Jack T
    Attached Files

I second that. Excellent book by an author who's took his research very seriously and went to extraordinary lengths to get it right, down to the little details.

The re-creation of a Petty Officer in U-boot uniform was a little goofy but I guess the publishing company was responsible for that. But no matter, an excellent book.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X