This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APB's in Tuckers book

Can anyone post pics of the APB's in Mike Tuckers new book?

Thanks,

EQ

I hope they're not like the APB on the cover of his last book. Or the APBs I've seen on his website from time to time. I'm not suggesting that Tucker is bent or anything. He probably doesn't know the difference between genuine and fake APBs but as I often say - although I know it annoys the dealer groupies on this forum and others - a dealer has no business selling expensive material if he doesn't damn well know what he's selling!

PK

Comment

No one out there has the book ?

Comment

I think the book is not out yet.

Comment

No, it's not yet out.
          Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

Sorry about that. I had assumed it was out already. Looking forward to ripping it to shreads.....errrrr......I mean critiqing it at some point in the future.

I remember when I first joined the forum and there were some subsequent conversations regarding the Fallschirmschuetzenabzeichen ( Heer ). Tucker asked me how many second pattern badges in alumunim I had observed still in the hands of the orignal owners. I said I had seen over 10. His reply was, "ah, that's too bad, I was hoping it was more than me"
            Well Mike, ten IS more than ZERO. I will eat all my badges if he has seen even one from the original owner.

Can't wait to see the book.

EQ

Comment

Eric:

There is an introduction of the book in Mike Tucker's site and it shows the page with the army para badge. As far as I can see, it is the same badge with the Juncker marking that has been the subject of many heated discussions in this forum.

The following is a link to the page:

http://www.authenticmilitaria.com/mi...ges/BookAd.jpg

Akira

Comment

Reading about Tucker's remark to Eric Queen, I have to say that I am less inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. The man sounds like a *****.

Akira, you are correct. I downloaded these images from Mike Tucker's site some time ago. He was selling this badge as an original.

At one point, I recall, I dropped him a friendly line pointing out that it might not be what he thought it was as he seemed to have a good reputation and I felt that perhaps he was just mistaken. Whether he was mistaken or not, he never bothered replying to me and the badge remained on offer. I expect it was sold to someone who paid good money for it.

It should be said that the vast majority of medals and badges on Tucker's website seem to be abolutely OK. Perhaps Mr Tucker really believes these old fakes to be genuine. Bit of a shame, though, when you look at the cover of his book...hardly confidence-inspiring having a fake on the cover of a reference book!

Here's the advert for Tucker's book. The APB therein is indeed the classic fake as seen in the photos above.

PK
                Attached Files

Comment

Here's the largest blow-up I could achieve before the image became pixelated.

PK
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have a real sinking feeling that Stephan P. might have used one of my photographs in this book. Over a half year ago my friend Francois wrote me asking if I would help Stephen with an image of an Army paratrooper wearing the FSA(H) that he needed for an upcoming publication. I said sure no problem. Its my fault for not asking whose book the image was for ( although I did ask if I could help with any information on this subject and he said they didn't need any help ). I could be wrong but 2 and 2 seem to point to this is the book in question. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I think I am going to be sick..........

The image I loaned him was of Gotlieb Moeck ( below )
                    Attached Files

Comment

Interesting conundrum.

If they asked you for the loan of that photo and it turns out that it has been used in this book without your prior knowledge or your agreement, then, legal considerations aside, this would clearly exceed the bounds of acceptable behaviour, especially as they are, to take an uncompromising view, representing a fake badge as being original.

That a dealer who has offered and in all probability sold at least one such fake as an original is a co-author of this book is unfortunate. His co-author, Mr Previtera, authored a very good-looking book on the Iron Cross, as we all know, but it subsequently transpired that a number of fakes had slipped past Mr Previtera and into the book where they were represented as originals.

Personally, I am fed up with hearing that old chesnut about how "they can't be expected to know everything, can they? Everyone makes mistakes". While this is true, it is not acceptable. If one of the journalists who works for me turned in an article that later turned out to contain serious errors and inaccuracies because of, essentially, lazy research or no research at all, and that individual then said, in mitigation, that he couldn't be expected to know everything and that everyone makes mistakes, I would kick him all the way down the stairs and up the street.

If one is writing a reference book and one is faced with a medal or a badge with which one is not intimately familiar, then one should either take the time to learn as much as possible about it before expounding on it or one should seek help from someone reputable with the requisite knowledge. If Eric Queen turns out to be right in his suspicions, then the fact that he offered help with this badge and was blithely turned down speaks volumes for the attitude of the authors. Or suggests that one of them, the dealer, doesn't want to admit that this type of APB is a fake...because he might have to refund a disappointed customer. Or perhaps even several disappointed customers.

If the photo has been used in this book, and if you have not been credited, then it could be argued that it is a breach of copyright in that the photo can be described as "Copyright © Eric Queen Archive". That's just one possible example of a way in which to proceed if they've used this image without obtaining permission.

If they have credited you but, again, failed to obtain your permission, then you could easily argue that they have appropriated your name, as a respected authority and author with regard to the German Army Airborne and their insignia etc, in order to lend credibility to a part of the book that in fact presents a known fake as an original. Or, rather, they have misappropriated your name.

Anyway, the book is printed and we shall soon know the skinny.

PK

Comment

Prosper,

Thanks and I know what you are saying. In this case though, regarding the image, I must really say that this is my fault. I should have asked Stephen exactly what the image was going to be used for. Because it was SP I just assumed it would be for something legitimate, I never imagined this. Which was my fault.
                        I am disapointed though, that Stephen did not ask me
                        ( especially after I offered ) or you, or Philippe L, or John Garcia, Mark Miller, etc. to look over the chapter prior to publication. We could have helped him correct this and supplied correct images within 24 hours. I guess he just assumed that Tucker knows what he's talking about.

I guess the lesson on both sides is never make assumptions.

EQ
                        Last edited by Eric Queen; 09-14-2002, 07:51 PM.

Comment

WH PARA BADGE

Hi Prosper,

I understand what you mean but

I think that more it spends the time and more it will be difficult to sustain that this type of construction of WH para badge in discussion can still be considered again "fake", simply because further to some sellers (more and more numerous) now also the new book of Previtera brings it, transforming it so for a lot of collectors from fake to " sure original ".

Unfortunately the "war" against this fake is becoming more and more hard.

your

Ivan

Ivan Bombardieri

Comment

Mike Tuckers new book

I have a feeling this book will mirror the format of "The Iron Time" with pretty pictures and not much on NEW information for $129.50 . This is my opinion and may not be shared for a review by some. The L/63 engraved gold wound badge as well as others in that book just thumbing through it at a show caused me to pass on adding it to the ref library. The wound badge construction as well as another pictured in the book are used on the website reproduction page? The photography and layout is nice and cases are covered in more detail then in the past, but as mentioned before how much is the material actually being researched or is just a nice graphic design for a book.
                            I hope if the photo is used a credit is made and any suggestions on determining an original APB were considered?
                            Last edited by Sammler; 09-12-2002, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Regarding this matter, I would like to make a couple of clarifications to ensure there are no misunderstandings.

1. Regarding the image. I am not saying that it was used without permission. First: As of yet, Iam not able to confirm if it was actually used in this book or not. Second: Even if it was, I did give my tacit permission to SP by way of sending him the image. It is
                              MY FAULT for not confirming exactly what it would be used for. He
                              ( SP ) said he needed an image of the badge being worn for an upcoming publication, Francois asked me to help him, so I did. I am just saddened that Mr.Moecks photo ( and my name ) may have been used in connection with these fake badges. Again, I should have insisted on knowing exactly what the image was going to be used for. I failed on this one.

2. Regarding the book itself, I just wanted to know what type
                              ( or types ) of badges were going to be represented. Its clear by what Prosper posted which badge was used. Although I said
                              ( partly in jest ) that I was looking forward to "ripping it to pieces", I want to make it clear that I will not allow another rehashing of the depate regarding this particular badge. I think everyone has voiced their opinions, all that can be said has been said and it has been adequately documented. I stand by every word I have written on this subject and I know many others do as well.

Of course should there be different or new information that is certainly fair game. Thanks for your understanding and I hope everyone will agree with this.

Eric Queen
                              Last edited by Eric Queen; 09-12-2002, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X