12th SS HJ books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12th SS HJ books

I have the Hubert Meyer book, any other good books on the 12th SS?

Type 12 SS in Amazon brings all your books up then saves you asking on here

Comment

Originally posted by leib1 View Post
      Type 12 SS in Amazon brings all your books up then saves you asking on here
      I've done some searching before i asked. Thought some guys could point some out..
      I found some good books from knowledgeable guys on here.

Comment

Stephan Cazenave has recently had some good books published about the "HJ" division. Plenty of original material. See further comments here -

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807839

Comment

The Cazenave book on the 12 SS is excellent,far better then Számvéber book which I found to have quite a few mistakes, expensive now though.The point about Amazon is if you put your subject in it comes up with all the books available and usually with reviews so you can make your own mind up about what to buy.

Comment

I think that it's a fair question to ask here than rely on reviews on amazon etc. I've always found the reviews quite random and often difficult to distinguish whether the reviewer is on the same page (forgive the pun) as I am. Or the depth of their knowledge on the subject as a reflection of their review ie. someone who has picked up their first TR book and thinks it's fantastic when it's actually a waste of ink and paper.
            Generally, those who visit this forum have a similar attitude and passion towards the subject, and their impressions prove far more reliable, and honest.
            Apparent laziness can be annoying but on the whole, take it as compliment that someone has deferred to your opinion.

Regards
            Allan

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Lyppe View Post
              I think that it's a fair question to ask here than rely on reviews on amazon etc. I've always found the reviews quite random and often difficult to distinguish whether the reviewer is on the same page (forgive the pun) as I am. Or the depth of their knowledge on the subject as a reflection of their review ie. someone who has picked up their first TR book and thinks it's fantastic when it's actually a waste of ink and paper.

Generally, those who visit this forum have a similar attitude and passion towards the subject, and their impressions prove far more reliable, and honest.

Apparent laziness can be annoying but on the whole, take it as compliment that someone has deferred to your opinion.

Regards

Allan

Yeah that is why I asked as most reviews on Amazon are unreliable. people on here have recommend some good books to me in the past so that's why I ask..
              I know a lot of guys on here have been studying for years so It's a good place to ask..

If any one has any good English books to add to the list that would be helpful

Comment

For a more British-Canadian perspective on fighting the I. SS-Panzerkorps (1. SS-PD LSSAH and 12. SS-PD HJ) in Normandy, with some material from German vets, see Ken Tout's books. These include A Fine Night for Tanks, The Bloody Battle for Tilly, and Roads to Falaise. These are full of exciting first person accounts, while also making clear the horrors of war.

Comment

Just made a order on
                  A Child of Hitler: Germany in the Days When God Wore a Swastika by "Alfons Heck "
                  The Hitler Youth: Origins and Development 1922-1945 by "H. W. Koch"

Comment

Originally posted by MarcRikmenspoel View Post
                    For a more British-Canadian perspective on fighting the I. SS-Panzerkorps (1. SS-PD LSSAH and 12. SS-PD HJ) in Normandy, with some material from German vets, see Ken Tout's books. These include A Fine Night for Tanks, The Bloody Battle for Tilly, and Roads to Falaise. These are full of exciting first person accounts, while also making clear the horrors of war.
                    Thanks these are on the list now also very cheap... have you read Tank!: 40 Hours of Battle, August 1944
                    seems to be old but have good reviews

Comment

I don't have the 40 Hours book, which is his personal memoir, but it is supposed to be very good. All his stuff is either good (that I've read) or well-reviewed (the ones I don't have).

Comment

Originally posted by MarcRikmenspoel View Post
                        I don't have the 40 Hours book, which is his personal memoir, but it is supposed to be very good. All his stuff is either good (that I've read) or well-reviewed (the ones I don't have).
                        Yeah ive ordered a few now and also ordered
                        The History of the 12.SS-Panzerdivision Hitlerjugend (1st Edition)
                        Meyer, Hubert

so got alot to read

Comment

Any Personal 12th SS HJ accounts out there?
                          I have Kurt Meyer's book

Comment

If you haven't read it, I'd recommend "Meeting of Generals" by Tony Foster. It is a dual biography of Harry Foster and Kurt Meyer. Foster commanded the 4th Canadian Armored Division in Normandy against Meyer's 12th SS and presided over Meyer's war crimes trial after WW2. The author, Tony Foster, is Harry's son, but both subjects are treated very fairly and the book is extremely well researched. I actually found it more informative than Meyer's "Grenadiers".

Comment

Originally posted by Panzer Meyer View Post
                              If you haven't read it, I'd recommend "Meeting of Generals" by Tony Foster. It is a dual biography of Harry Foster and Kurt Meyer. Foster commanded the 4th Canadian Armored Division in Normandy against Meyer's 12th SS and presided over Meyer's war crimes trial after WW2. The author, Tony Foster, is Harry's son, but both subjects are treated very fairly and the book is extremely well researched. I actually found it more informative than Meyer's "Grenadiers".
                              Thanks i will add this to my list also.. looks quite good

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X