The Party Badge by Jo Rivett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Party Badge by Jo Rivett

I had just finished the "Ground Assault Badge" and "The Glider Pilot Badge" books, both of which were extremely short and that I found lacked substance. Then Jo's book arrived and I could tell immediately that I would feel differently, very differently.

Jo Rivett is persistent is finding truth and applying scientific reason to a narrow section of the hobby, the enamel party badge. His book nullifies any previous work on the subject by discrediting the broad assumptions and inadequate research of other authors.

500 pages. Excellent photos. Fair and explanatory deductive reasoning. Unique analysis. Thorough coverage. Most importantly, conclusions drawn from the period sources and not post war opinions that were printed and bound and thus considered credible.

Jo makes it very clear that his work is the absolute best to date on the subject and he invites any and all to improve on it, but not without bringing evidence to the table.

I always found the authors posts to be quirky, sarcastic, in cases rude and in excess. His abrasive humor has hurt his image in the online forum community. This should not detract from the notion that he is able to bring a highly professional debate to the table and will not settle until there is a plausible answer. His persistence and intelligence level along with his completed work has proven he deserves respect from present and future collectors.

Future reference book authors use this book as inspiration. Thank you Jo for your work.

Jo's book is a must have for anyone who collects enamel badges. The research is top notch and the presentation is clear.

It takes a couple of readings to fully digest the material, and it is a a book you will keep going back to for further study.

Bob Hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

It is a very good book indeed. Wished that all recently released books had that level of study work.

Regards, Wim
      Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Jo has been underated for a long time,,I have had dealings with him for a few yrs now and rather enjoy his matter-of fact in your face approach,,I think the collecting community as a whole has a very small sense of humor, especially when your trying to educate them that half of their precious collection is bogus,,,
        wish Jo would post more,,

Comment

About how much of the book, would you say, pertains to the Gold Party Badges?
          Thanks,
          Erich
          Festina lente!

Comment

Now at page 94 out of total of 514 pages.
            Need to read this interesting book before starts to collect any party badge or GPB beside BO.

Comment

Originally posted by Erich B. View Post
              About how much of the book, would you say, pertains to the Gold Party Badges?
              Thanks,
              Erich
              Its essentially party enamel so you can apply what might apply I would imagine. The book will melt your brain with information. Lot of reading.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Wraith View Post
                Its essentially party enamel so you can apply what might apply I would imagine. The book will melt your brain with information. Lot of reading.
                Thanks!
                Erich
                Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by Erich B. View Post
                  Thanks!
                  Erich
                  Got you confused with Erich S. there. I do not recall a lot of info on GPB and the core is party badges. So to answer your question, not a lot tht I recall on the GPB. The fact that it is party enamel and the information being as in depth as it is you could walk away with a lot of info that could be applied to various enamel and manufacture. That was my meaning, but GPB tends to be fairly cut and dry anyway.

Comment

There's only 10 pages dedicated to the GPB.

Jo calls out other authors obsessively in every chapter. Although it comes off as unwarranted and in excess, there is a clear message from this:
                    Don't produce any more reference books until you can back up each statement with proof or fear a reputation-ending reprisal.

Comment

Now at pg.184 and also understand why Jo uses this as his avatar.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Bologna View Post
                        Well that's saved me a load of cash, that was the only reason that I was considering forking out for it. Is there anything in these ten pages that cannot be found on the WAF?

Comment

How many pages do you need on GPB's?. For all his quirks and style the book in itself for purposes of data and learning something is a bargain. Its about Party Badges, that is the title and that is where a lot of the confusion and variables are. When you get to GPB's life is easier and you do not need an enormous book.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Bologna View Post

Jo calls out other authors obsessively in every chapter. Although it comes off as unwarranted and in excess, there is a clear message from this:
                            Don't produce any more reference books until you can back up each statement with proof or fear a reputation-ending reprisal.
                            Anyone who is truly unhappy about this (most welcome) turn of events is in the throes of Stockholm Syndrome. I only wish the author was interested in other areas of TR collectables to investigate for criminal fakery and baseless claims and then publish...

Comment

Originally posted by J. Wraith View Post
                              How many pages do you need on GPB's?. When you get to GPB's life is easier and you do not need an enormous book.
                              I don't know how many pages I need on GPBs, but if all GPB info can be covered in ten pages then that's great, but I won't be paying all that money for ten pages.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X