EpicArtifacts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sword Behind the Shield: A Combat History of the German Efforts to Relieve Budape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sword Behind the Shield: A Combat History of the German Efforts to Relieve Budape

Anyone have any information or reviews on The Sword Behind the Shield: A Combat History of the German Efforts to Relieve Budapest 1945 - Operation 'Konrad' I, III, III by Norbert Szamveber? Interesting that I can buy it from a USA dealer through amazon UK but amazon USA has no listing for it. I prefer German centric view on the battles. Thank you

I read in hungarian of course, one of my favourite books. And the anothers from Norbert Szamveber.
    This is great work. Based on facts. (daily reports of soviet and german units) and sourvivals memoirs. (Bose etc.)The story written in chronological order, Norbert continously check the real loss of all side.
    When you read this book, you can see, that there was main theater of war.
    Norber Szamveber soldier and researcher and historian in one person.

Comment

I am curious if The Sword Behind the Shield has a lot of personal accounts from soldiers who fought in these battles or if it is more strategic centered with excerpts from official histories and war diaries. Also if there are any photos from these battles.

I am debating if I should buy this book or Panzergrenadiers Forward! A book about the Brandenburg Panzergrenadier Division at the end of the War. Books that include personal accounts of these unit histories or battles interest me.

Hopefully someone can give me a little insight into these two books.

G

Comment

Originally posted by Glen S. View Post
        I am curious if The Sword Behind the Shield has a lot of personal accounts from soldiers who fought in these battles or if it is more strategic centered with excerpts from official histories and war diaries. Also if there are any photos from these battles.

I am debating if I should buy this book or Panzergrenadiers Forward! A book about the Brandenburg Panzergrenadier Division at the end of the War. Books that include personal accounts of these unit histories or battles interest me.

Hopefully someone can give me a little insight into these two books.

G
        The Sword Behind the Shield is your second option, strategic centered with excerpts from official histories and war diaries. Still, it's detail never seen before on these battles.

The Brandenburg book has much more material from an archive of interviews with veterans, so is more interesting in that sense. But both books are worthwhile, full of rare information you won't find elsewhere in English.

Comment

Marc,

Thank you for the feedback. I was leaning more towards the Brandenburg book based on reviews I read on Amazon.

G

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X