Good battle of the bulge books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good battle of the bulge books?

Hi guys ive got the then and now BOB book.
    Is there any other good books i should look at?

Thanks Martin

The After the Battle volume is my single favorite book on the topic, and you might not find much that tops it. Christer Bergstrom's book from last year seems like the other best book, though I've only looked at it, not read it carefully.

An outdated book, with some inaccuracies, but with very exciting first-person accounts, is John Toland's Battle: The Story of the Bulge. Charles B. MacDonald's Company Commander is a great memoir, and the section on his role in a key part of the battle is gripping. MacDonald later wrote the book A Time For Trumpets, which is a good study of the battle from a primarily American point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcRikmenspoel View Post
      The After the Battle volume is my single favorite book on the topic, and you might not find much that tops it. Christer Bergstrom's book from last year seems like the other best book, though I've only looked at it, not read it carefully.

An outdated book, with some inaccuracies, but with very exciting first-person accounts, is John Toland's Battle: The Story of the Bulge. Charles B. MacDonald's Company Commander is a great memoir, and the section on his role in a key part of the battle is gripping. MacDonald later wrote the book A Time For Trumpets, which is a good study of the battle from a primarily American point of view.
      Thanks for the info. i got the Then and now book by Jean Paul Pallud

do you mean Battle of the Bulge Through the Lens?
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Bulge.../dp/1870067231

i will have a look Christer Bergstrom's book. also John Toland's Battle: The Story of the Bulge and Charles B. MacDonald's Company Commander
      they look like good books i wanted some first hand accounts thanks

Comment

This is a good one...
        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...etailpage_o06_

Comment

"A Time for Trumpets" by Charles B. McDonald was very comprehensive and worth reading, in my opinion.
          When you go home
          Tell them for us and say
          For your tomorrow
          We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
          Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Originally posted by k9mike View Post

As a battle of The Bulge collector, as a Belgian citizen visit The battlefield numerous times, as a guide of the 'Peiper battlefield' and as an owner of Then and now, I can say the book which Mike mentioned here is a must have on the topic

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys Christer Bergstrom book is on order now.

also is Battle of the Bulge Through the Lens worth getting also?

Comment

Get this one:
                "No Silent Night, The Christmas Battle for Bastogne" by Leo Barron and Don Cygan. It is great and written in a narrative style,
                as seen through the eyes of the participants on both sides. I highly recommend it. (first published 2012 I believe)
                Attached Files

Comment

I have not read this yet, but it is getting good reviews:
                  Attached Files
                  NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                    Get this one:
                    "No Silent Night, The Christmas Battle for Bastogne" by Leo Barron and Don Cygan. It is great and written in a narrative style,
                    as seen through the eyes of the participants on both sides. I highly recommend it. (first published 2012 I believe)

I have this one also. It is a good book, but it focus only at Bastogne.
                    And the Battle was much more than Bastogne only.

Comment

I have nearly finished reading Antony Beevor's book at the moment

Its well written like all his previous books and deals with the conflicts perspective from both sides

Comment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bloody-Clash.../dp/0515103519
                        Excellent read

Comment

Thanks guys is Duel in the Mist vol 2-3 any good?
                          i wanted part 1 but i cant find it anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by ironcross13 View Post
                            Thanks guys is Duel in the Mist vol 2-3 any good?
                            i wanted part 1 but i cant find it anywhere
                            The "Duel in the Mist" series is outstanding for the actions of Kampfgruppe Peiper, but it will be really hard to find the first one, and Volume 2 is very expensive now.

If you want to zoom in on the actions of just one of Peiper's units (schwere SS-PanzerAbteilung 501), try this one http://www.amazon.com/Tigers-Ardenne.../dp/076434790X

Best,
                            Greg
                            sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
                            www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Also good for the actions of Kampfgruppe Peiper are "The Devil's Adjutant" by the late General Michael Reynolds, "The Malmedy Massacre" by John Bauserman, and Gerard Gregoire's books "Les Panzer de Peiper Face a L'U.S. Army" and "Feu / Fire / Feuer / Vuur." The last two are sold out of the December 1944 Museum in La Gleize (Belgium) but can be found on the Internet too. Some of the text of "Feu / Fire / Feuer / Vuur" is in English.

Best,
                              Greg
                              sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
                              www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X