Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Woman in Hitler’s Bathtub: Lee Miller, Munich, 1945

The Woman in Hitler’s Bathtub: Lee Miller, Munich, 1945

Former LIFE photographer David E. Scherman talks about taking his famous picture of Lee Miller in Adolf Hitler's bathtub in 1945 Munich. The photo is shown on the website.

In May 1993, former LIFE photographer (and, later in his career, a senior editor at the magazine) David E. Scherman told John Loengard about making this famous portrait of Lee Miller in Adolf Hitler’s bathtub. Miller, a fashion model-turned-war correspondent and photographer, was born in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., and died in England as Lady Penrose, having married the British artist and poet, Sir Roland Penrose, a few years after the war.

"During the war, Lee and I were mostly inseparable. We were together at the linkup with the Russians, and we were together at Dachau. We moved into Hitler’s headquarters in Munich. Lee and I found an elderly gent who barely spoke English, and we gave him a carton of cigarettes and said, “Show us around Munich.” He showed us Hitler’s house and I photographed Lee taking a bath in Hitler’s bathtub. . . . We found Eva Braun’s house, and we moved in there and lived there for four or five days before the Americans discovered it. We got quite a few amusing souvenirs of Eva’s and Adolf’s. . . . [At Hitler’s mountain retreat in Berchtesdgaden] I looted everything I could get my hands on, including a complete set of Shakespeare with Hitler’s initials, in gold, on the binding, which I sold a few months ago for 10,000 bucks."

http://time.com/3502547/lee-miller-t...b-munich-1945/

Great cover and one I had never seen before.
    Jim

Comment

"We got quite a few amusing souvenirs of Eva’s and Adolf’s"

One has to wonder what the amusing souvenirs were? What with all the Braun under garments coming to auction lately.

Comment

The bathtub still exists (reportedly the original), but it's no longer in Hitler's apartment.
        http://www.thirdreichruins.com/munich.htm (6 rows up from the bottom of the page)
        EB's house that they visited was torn down last month.

Comment

Thanks for posting men

Ross

Comment

VERY interesting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X