Gielsmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ss Panzergrenadier by Hans Schmidt. Good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ss Panzergrenadier by Hans Schmidt. Good?

Hi guys seen this but its £45 in the UK is it worth getting?

That seems high for the book. Abebooks lists a copy for $20 US before shipping, which might be worthwhile even with shipping to the UK.

The book itself is okay. Schmidt saw some action in the Ardennes and Hungary. But really, ythe most interesting aspect is that he is unapologetic and doesn't hesitate to share his politically incorrect views. That makes it different from other memoirs, which skip over that aspect.

So, in sum, the book is worth reading, but not if you have to spend a lot on it.

Comment

yeah i seen it for $20 i can get it for £30 preowned.

Yeah i hear it is a good book, a lot of books do miss their views only get the story

Thanks for reply

Comment

PM sent to you about book.
        Mike

Comment

The book itself rather gives a good insight into the routine life as a soldier and onlyshows combat from a very personal view (no big picture). A very emotional part was when he described the shooting up of his column by an ambushing US unit that didn´t stop firing, even as everyone was down already and the forelorn efforts in final combat.

Comment

Originally posted by o.r.k. View Post
            The book itself rather gives a good insight into the routine life as a soldier and onlyshows combat from a very personal view (no big picture). A very emotional part was when he described the shooting up of his column by an ambushing US unit that didn´t stop firing, even as everyone was down already and the forelorn efforts in final combat.
            this is the stories i like to read about. like to hear the other sides of the stories.
            I have a copy on the way so should have it soon

Comment

I recommend this book as it is his honest take on the war and what it was like to be young and have to carry the weight of your nation collapsing on your shoulders. There is not a lot of comabt stories, it's mostly routine life, but it's not a "dry" read either. I met Hans in NC many years ago and he was a great person who saw a lot. On thing that stood out in the book was after the failed Budepest offensive, how his kp CO shot himself as he could not envision living in a world with out NS.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X