Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Nazi in the Family

Hi Everyone,

Just finished reading a book called A Nazi in the Family written by Derek Niemann, grandson to Karl Niemann, a former SS Officier.

Id recommend it, a grandson coming to terms with his Nazi past. The thing that striked me in the book though was that Karl Niemann wasnt 'a bad nazi' . In the book it lists and recalls several instances where Karl saved inmates lives from Dachau after getting work for them by working for him in a furniture factory the SS ran and that he was in charge of.

It follows the war, Karl, his wife Minna, his children Anne, Dieter ( who was killed in action just 33 days before the end of the war) Ekart and Rudolf.

The chapters about what happened to Karl after the war are sad.

Wont tell you anymore but Well worth the read, and recommended.

Eva

Hi,

Sounds like an interesting book, my wife is German (I am English) and we visit Germany regularly.
    My wife's parents can remember the TR experience, and I have talked at length with many people in Germany who remember the Nazis and their regime.
    Have heard many interesting (and conflicting) anecdotes over the ten years I have been going to Germany on a regular basis and this book sounds like something I will buy.
    Thanks for the information,

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

here is a short review of the book - http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...-in-the-family

Ibrahim,
      Singapore

---------------------------
      Looking for all relevant info & items on WW2 German U-boats in Singapore and Asia for my research.
      http://monsun-uboats.blogspot.com/

Comment

I read an article on this a few moths back. Seemed like a good read. I'll have to check it out.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X