UniformsNSDAP

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hitler's teenage warriors (the life and times of Karl-Heinz Decker, 12th SS Div)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitler's teenage warriors (the life and times of Karl-Heinz Decker, 12th SS Div)

"Hitler's Teenage Warriors" (The life and times of Karl-Heinz Decker, 12th SS Panzer Division "Hitlerjugend")

I've just finished reading this book, really excellent, and very easy reading, in fact I couldn't put it down! I bought the book as I had the fortune to meet Karl-Heinz a few years ago, and I always think that adds a little interest. Although I only met him briefly I recall that he was a 'strong character', and this is borne out by his book. He was clearly a very tough young man who went through a great deal at a very young age. I think it is fair to say from reading the book that Karl-Heinz and his family's struggles could almost be said to have begun when the war ended.....

Saved at the last minute from summary execution by Canadian troops upon surrendering, it went from bad to worse. Years of tough incarceration including near starvation followed, similarly three of his relatives left behind in the former German territorries in the East did actually starve to death. The book goes on to cover his post-war life, first as a POW where his treatment varied greatly (though he speaks very favourably of Sir Brian Horrocks, of Arnhem fame, in the UK who had been a POW twice himself), and then his regular attendence at post-war veteran's reunions. The book also covers his regret at the loss of East Prussia, his boyhood home, now part of Poland/ Russia.

Still alive today, his later years were taken up with teaching disabled children to ride horses, as he was an accomplished rider in his youth in East Prussia. Altogether, highly recommended.

Avaialable here:- http://www.sbg1.mistral.co.uk/books_for_sale.htm

Or from our very own WAF member "ss3" !

Regards, Paul
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PaulW; 08-23-2015, 08:06 PM.

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
X