Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specific request - Book

Happy new year fellow forum members,

I would like to get a book on German WWII Medals but it needs to meet the following criteria within the book.

- picture of the medal/decoration
    - in english text
    - numbers awarded (estimates)
    - award instituted date
    - brief description of award
    - german title or name of the award (eg wound badge - Verwunden-Abzeichen)
    - contains all types of combat/political/non-combat/service awards for all soldiers/civilians that fought for Germany in WWII.
    - contain foreign awards (nice to have but not essential).

This is the criteria I am looking for for this book. I would appreciate some guidence from the "experts" on this forum so I can make an informed decision on this book.

PS. Cant not spend hundreds of dollars so I still would like to see the best books available but have do be concious of price.

Thanks in advance

Scott
    Last edited by Revellations; 01-04-2005, 08:50 PM.

The bible on EK's and RKs of 1939 would be Gordon Williamson's "The Iron Cross of 1939" .. can be found here:

http://www.bender-publishing.com/

Also another great book on the "complete" history as well as the Iron Cross (dating from 1813 to 1957) as well as the DK and RK would be Stephen Previtera's "The Iron Time" found here:

http://winidorepress.com/index.html

A book that details (both German and English) names of the awards and lists institution dates of Military Awards would be John Angolia's "For Fuhrer and Fatherland". I believe this one is out of print, but you may find some copies floating around still. See attached scan of cover. This one was published circa Third Printing 1987:
    Attached Files

Comment

Darrell,

Thanks for the quick reply. Is it possible to show me a couple of pages in detail please before I take the dive to purchase this book.

Cheers

Revellations

Comment

Originally posted by Revellations
        Darrell,

Thanks for the quick reply. Is it possible to show me a couple of pages in detail please before I take the dive to purchase this book.

Cheers

Revellations
        The one I scanned? Or one of tthe others?

Comment

The one you scanned. I am Interested in the book "for Fuhrer and fatherland"

Thanks

Scott

Comment

Here you go ... a typical section (3 double pages on the Knight's Cross of the War Merit Cross). This is typical verbage and pictures for most of the awards in the book.
            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Darrell,

Thanks you so much for helping me here. Can I assume correct the the pictures are in colour? (no need to post if so). Can you let me know?

Thanks again so much for your help.

Scott
                  Revellations

Comment

Darrell,

Thanks you so much for helping me here. Can I assume correct the the pictures are in colour? (no need to post if so). Can you let me know?

Thanks again so much for your help.

Scott
                    Revellations
                    Unfortunately not. All B&W I'm afraid. It would have been a real killer if it had ... but in that case would have cost as much an umarked EK1

Comment

Another great reference is Detlev's Price Guide for German Orders, documents, miniatures & cases. I believe this has all the info you require to, and loads of pictures too (more than 2400!).

I just order one of these myself!
                      Regards,
                      Chris

Always interested in buying Ribbon Bars or anything Ribbon Bar related!!

Comment

Chris,

It meets all my requirements - excellent. Also in colour!!!!! Cool - well I assume this.

Can someone post a pic or two of the example of Detlevs book please. This would be fantastic.

Thanks Chris

Scott
                        (Revellations)

Comment

Happy new year fellow forum members,

I would like to get a book on German WWII Medals but it needs to meet the following criteria within the book.

- picture of the medal/decoration
                          - in english text
                          - numbers awarded (estimates)
                          - award instituted date
                          - brief description of award
                          - german title or name of the award (eg wound badge - Verwunden-Abzeichen)
                          - contains all types of combat/political/non-combat/service awards for all soldiers/civilians that fought for Germany in WWII.
                          - contain foreign awards (nice to have but not essential).

This is the criteria I am looking for for this book. I would appreciate some guidence from the "experts" on this forum so I can make an informed decision on this book.

PS. Cant not spend hundreds of dollars so I still would like to see the best books available but have do be concious of price.

Thanks in advance

Scott
                          I don't want to blow my own trumpet here......but I'm going to anyway.

The book I did in 2001, 'Medals & Decorations of Hitler's Germany', is the only one I know of that covers all of these criteria above in a single volume and a reasonable price, and it's in colour and hardback too. You can see it on my site
                          www.robinlumsden.com
                          and get it through Amazon for less than $20.
                          There - plug over.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden
                            I don't want to blow my own trumpet here......but I'm going to anyway.

The book I did in 2001, 'Medals & Decorations of Hitler's Germany', is the only one I know of that covers all of these criteria above in a single volume and a reasonable price, and it's in colour and hardback too. You can see it on my site
                            www.robinlumsden.com
                            and get it through Amazon for less than $20.
                            There - plug over.
                            Yes, I have a copy and it is a nice easy reference.

Comment

Thank you for showing me this book. Nothing wrong with blowing your own trumpet. When you spend a lot of time and effort creating a book then of course you want others to see it. Thanks for sharing!!!! Is it possible to see a couple of pages from this book if someone gets the chance.

Also, still looking for a scan of a couple of pages from Detlevs book.

Thanks to all so far

Revellations

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X