X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Article: The WW2 soldiers France has forgotten

Saw this yesterday and thought it may be of interest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32956736

Thanks for posting. An interesting article.

Comment

They omit (as is usual) the important role French forces played in Norway. The Germans had far greater respect for the French troops they fought against than the British i'm ashamed to say.
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
        They omit (as is usual) the important role French forces played in Norway. The Germans had far greater respect for the French troops they fought against than the British i'm ashamed to say.
        How did the French play a more important role than the British in Norway Simon! Im intrigued!

Ross

Comment

I said the important role, not a more important role.

British ground forces were a fiasco to be honest, badly prepared and poorly equipped. However French troops, Chasseurs Alpins and Foreign Legion, fought hard alongside Norwegian and Polish troops around Narvik and were intstrumental in retaking the town of Narvik at the end of may.
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Indeed you did Simon,Forgive me,

I see,i knew the British troops were poorly equiped but i was under the impression they fought hard there,very interesting to hear the FL were there,i had no idea the Legion were involved at Narvik!

Ross

Comment

Narvik really is a battle that should be better known outside of Norway and Germany. It's such a significant battle in many ways.

It gutted the KM's already small destoyer force. Losing almost almost half. Which played a role in the KM's reluctance to try an invasion of Britain.

It was the first real defeat suffered by the Germans during the war. The allies pushed the Germans out of Narvik and retook the town.

It was the first allied amphibious assault of the war, also using the new purpose built landing craft. Norwegian and French troops, including tanks were landed under fire as part of the operation to retake the town.

The campaign lasted longer than the battle of France and the low countries.

It was so significant that it saw the awarding of the wars first oak leaves to the RK (Dietl) and the institution of the wehrmachts first campaign shield

Comment

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
                Narvik really is a battle that should be better known outside of Norway and Germany. It's such a significant battle in many ways.

It gutted the KM's already small destoyer force. Losing almost almost half. Which played a role in the KM's reluctance to try an invasion of Britain.

It was the first real defeat suffered by the Germans during the war. The allies pushed the Germans out of Narvik and retook the town.

It was the first allied amphibious assault of the war, also using the new purpose built landing craft. Norwegian and French troops, including tanks were landed under fire as part of the operation to retake the town.

The campaign lasted longer than the battle of France and the low countries.

It was so significant that it saw the awarding of the wars first oak leaves to the RK (Dietl) and the institution of the wehrmachts first campaign shield
                Hi Simon,

Can you recommend any books for the Norway campaign?

Comment

Ian

What are IMO the best books on the subject in English are Geirr Haarr's two books. One reason they're so good, is because Geirr is Norwegian, so it's much easier for him to deal with the Norwegian archive material. He also writes only in English. Partly because he can, but also he wants to tell the story to a wider audience. Those other works i've read about the campaign in English and by British authors tend to say relatively little about the Norwegian side, and yet it was after all 'their' war.

The first one The German invasion of Norway: April 1940 focuses on that month alone, Geirr (who i know personally) is en expert in naval history, so it has a bias towards the naval aspects of the campaign, but it's very well researched and written

http://www.amazon.co.uk/books/dp/184...bxgy_14_text_z

The second book is The battle for Norway April - June 1940 and covers the whole campaign. Again, the naval aspect gets the most focus, but all areas of the campaign are covered.
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Norwa...ds=geirr+haarr

You won't be disappointed with either book

Comment

Thank you Simon for the detailed reply, exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

I have added them to my reading list.

Thanks again.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X