Hans Sturm memoir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hans Sturm memoir

sadly the previous thread on this book appears to have bogged down in thoughts other than the book and been removed! Here is my opinion of the book .A great read ,wonderfully written by Gordon Williamson , I thouroughly enjoyed this ,based on Sturms memoirs and written almost like a novel ,one of the best books I ve read recently. The status a knights cross holder enjoyed in German society is vividly described , good combat accounts and interesting snippets of time ---meeting a drunken obnoxious Adolf Galland ,- solo shootout with Italian partisans ! Rated by me

very interesting! I know only the old book "Meine Kriegserinnerungen" (2000) about his war memory directly by Hans Sturm!!

Comment

Totally Concur Terry...I enjoyed also...I wonder how the 2 may differ...mufasa..Have you read this one as well?? Any differences??
      Mike

Comment

Thanks for the quick review
        I must try and find a copy

Comment

I know that they have it on Kindle...That's How I got it...

Comment

Fantastic read!
            One of the best memoirs I have read in recent years.
            Run out and get this one.

Comment

I was fortunate enough to have known him and spent a fair amount of time at his house in the 1980s when I was a soldier near Dortmund where he lived. He was a very nice man. I did not know there was a book. He must have written it later in his life. I will have to look for it.

Is the story about the candy store in Berlin in there?

Comment

Originally posted by Terry OToole View Post
                sadly the previous thread on this book appears to have bogged down in thoughts other than the book and been removed! Here is my opinion of the book .A great read ,wonderfully written by Gordon Williamson , I thouroughly enjoyed this ,based on Sturms memoirs and written almost like a novel ,one of the best books I ve read recently. The status a knights cross holder enjoyed in German society is vividly described , good combat accounts and interesting snippets of time ---meeting a drunken obnoxious Adolf Galland ,- solo shootout with Italian partisans ! Rated by me
                Just read this book.

I generally do not like gordon williamson's writing style, however that is based on his collecting books, which are rather cryptic and dry.

The hans sturm book, on the other hand, is fantastic. Very colorful and well portrayed depictions of Hans Sturm's WW2 experience. Not quite up to "forgotten soldier", but is right up there with one of the best narratives about a german soldier.

Definately reccommend and a must read.

Comment

Excellent biography. I visited Sturm twice and wish I had read this in German first so I could have asked him more specific questions. Excellent physical quality to the book, super paper. Sturm's story covers topics you won't see in other books because of his homefront duties. It isn't pure combat like Forgotten Soldier, but it is pure fact as opposed to Sajer's mistakes and embellishments.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X