Helmut Weitze

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much is a fair price to offer a friend for Adolf Hitler the unknown artist book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much is a fair price to offer a friend for Adolf Hitler the unknown artist book?

Hi,

I recently book a large lot of books from a friend. He was happy with the price of $10 per book. I was happy to buy the books. Some books may have been worth more, some less but I'm sure it all balanced out and we were both happy.

He also wanted to sell me his copy of "Adolf Hitler: The Unknown Artist" by Billy F. Price. I have wanted this book for some time, so I know that it is definitely worth more than $10 and told him so. My friend has left it up to me to offer him what would be a fair and reasonable price for the book.

If I search the second hand online booksellers that I often use, the book is listed for an astronomical price range. They don't appear to be selling, probably because they are so overpriced.

WAF usually sells things at a more sensible and realistic collectors price. I couldn't find a thread listing a sale price for the book.

What would be a fair and reasonable market value for me to offer my friend for the book? Obviously I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I don't want to rip him off either. I want to pay what is fair for both of us.

Cheers

Nicole

I don't know what the price should be, but keep in mind that the book has some fakes in it.

Comment

well...one important aspect of book prices has to do with availability. If none are available on WAF then you cant see a price in real time anyway. And keep in mind some WAF sellers ask more than anyone else in the world-now and then. As to other book sites: prices can change day by day for books on some very big sites-though maybe not on this book.

I remember the prices for this book a few years back on every book site when I used to watch it.

I think this is one of those books that you can ONLY take into account actual prices of books actually available...and you might find approaching the book owner and explaining your point of view as to the on line prices (and showing him the prices on web ) might be the best thing you can do to still be honest and maybe still be able to negotiate a price you can live with.
      State all your thoughts on overpricing-that you are not a book dealer ,etc.
      ANd how a book dealer will not give him the prices found on line on line.

-I wonder just what else was in this persons book collection?

Comment

As I look right now, there are 3 sold listings of the book on ebay within the past 2 months.

$199.99
        $152.50
        $142.50

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...mplete=1&rt=nc

There are more that have been listed but did not sell, with prices from $300 to $600.
        So we can surmise that $300-$600 is outlandish, $200 barely possible, $150 very likely, $140 almost a certainty.
        This is probably as accurate fair market value as you can get with something like this.

If your friend put it on ebay he could almost certainly get $150, plus say $10 shipping.
        He would be charged about $15 ebay/paypal fees, so its worth is approximately $130, if I really wanted it I'd offer an even $100 to save him the hassle of shipping/risk of bad transaction ect.
        If I didn't want it that bad I'd offer $75, anything less would be insulting to a friend [not that he'd necessarily take it that way, but more for your own principles].

If it is beat up/ripped/torn/water damage ect, price goes down steeply. Conversely if it is near mint, will be worth a bit more.
        Appears too that a 1st edition has a premium.
        Last edited by eldenwaff; 04-02-2015, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much for your detailed answer, it is exactly the information I was looking for. Sorry for my late reply, I have been away.

I looked on ebay and didn't find any copies, but I didn't think to look for old auctions. I will show my friend this thread and offer him $100 for the book. I would say the book is in good condition, the dust jacket in fair condition. He has written his name in pen in the front.

Cheers

Nicole

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Fay View Post
            -I wonder just what else was in this persons book collection?
            He has still kept all of his original Drittes Reich books, and also many other good political/history ones (I wrote down the names of some good ones to search for).

The ones I bought this time are more general interest books. Some Hoffman reprints, a nice book on the "SS Loyalty is My Honor" by Gordon Williamson. A book on German film stars. A book of before and after shots of Dresden. Some autobiographies from soldiers and one on Magda Goebbels. A history of Obersalzberg, "Hitler and Munich" a guide to the sights and addresses of Munich important to Adolf Hitler. "Guarding the Führer" by Blaine Taylor. Triumph of the Will screenplay. "Inside Nürnberg" by Roy A Martin.

This lists some of the books I bought (I think there were 34 all up). He has a few others that he wants to sell which weren't my field of interest (some more soldier biography Drittes Reich ones and also about Napoleon). I can get the names if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Nicole

Comment

Just to put closure on this thread (in case anyone else is looking to buy this book).

My friend was very happy with $100 for the book, so the deal was done.

Cheers

Nicole

Comment

Good deal, worked out to the satisfaction and benefit of both.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X