Tip of the Spear - German Armored Reconnaissance in Action in World War 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tip of the Spear - German Armored Reconnaissance in Action in World War 2

For those who can't get enough of the reconnaissance stuff...the new book on German armored reconnaissance, Tip of the Spear, will be available from Stackpole in the fall.

It continues where Scouts Out left off, with summarized campaign histories, a large number of organizational charts, hundreds of previously unpublished or little known images, extensive captioning, after-action reports, first-hand accounts, extensive information on the issuance of the Sd.Kfz. 250/9 and the Sd.Kfz. 234 family of vehicles and, of course, another 48-page color insert. The latter features choice artifacts from advanced collections and nearly 30 full-page period color images, including "Totenkopf" and "Das Reich" reconnaissance elements.

A preview of the book with sample draft teaser pages can be found here. There is also a link there for a substantial pre-order discount from a major on-line retailer.

All the best!
    Bob Edwards, Michael H. Pruett and Mike Olive
    Attached Files

Congratulations, Bob. Looks great!!

Comment

Looking forward to it!

Best,
      Greg
      sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
      www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

I already preordered my copy!!!

Comment

October Publication

Hello all!
          Stackpole will be publishing sometime in October.
          This will be the perfect stocking stuffer for your wives and girlfriends for the Christmas holidays!
          The big online retailers are already offering the book as a pre-pub and at substantial discounts.
          All the best!
          Bob
          PS A preview of the book with sample draft teaser pages can be found here.

Comment

Great news Bob! Good luck with it!

Comment

Former 19D Cavalry Scout here. Just pre-ordered my copy. I'm sure the wife will love it.
              AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Comment

Receipt of Book

Hello, all!
                Just received my author copies of the book. Everything looks good, with the exception of a few minor problems (e.g., some of the color has a yellowish tint), but I'm happy with the way it turned out. If you've been waiting to order, now is the time, I guess. (With Christmas only a couple of months away, don't forget the wife or girlfriend!)
                Take care,
                Bob Edwards

Comment

I was 19D as well for a short time at the end of my time in the service. I just ordered mine. Looks great.

Comment

Got my copy last week, spectacular! Well worth the price for the large format color photos of SS-T recon men in black wraps alone.

Comment

Bob, where's the best place to buy the book so that you get the biggest royalty?
                      Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                        I was 19D as well for a short time at the end of my time in the service. I just ordered mine. Looks great.
                        I've know you for a while now and didn't know you were 19D. Scouts Out, brother!
                        AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Comment

Very nice book guys!!! I will buy it for sure ;-)

Comment

Errata and Addenda to Tip of the Spear

Gentlemen,
                            I finally had the chance to update some pages on the web site and have added an “Errata and Addenda” page concerning “Tip of the Spear.” In addition to posting some comments concerning captions from the book, there is also a discussion of the “use” of the armored reconnaissance companies in late-war armored reconnaissance battalions, as well as color corrected images of the photos Dave Williams provided for the book (which were screwed up by the printer). Here’s the link:
                            http://battlebornbooks.com/?page_id=3720
                            All the best!
                            Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,

About those page 373 images, those are Willi Altstadt photos from the summer of 1942. The top one shows one of the antitank ditches protecting Rostov, after its capture roughly July 29. The other two show a road in the West Caucasus, a couple of weeks later. Trees had been felled to block it, and Hans Dorr (4./Germania commander at this time) directed the cutting of the trunks to open the road up. Armored cars of Aufklärungs Abt. Wiking were then the first vehicles to advance along the road (the entire sequence is 15-20 photos).

I agree with your commentator Paul that the page 482 images appear to be 1941, or 1942 at the latest.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X