Published cases of soldiers being reported KIA by mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Published cases of soldiers being reported KIA by mistake

I am currently writting a little paper on cases of soldiers (since WWI) who were officialy reported as killed in action, only to turn up alive at a later date. The reasons could be some sort of mix up with ID tags, mistaken battlefield reports, etc.
    Does anyone know of any cases of soldiers being officialy reported dead (not MIA!) by mistake, that are published in books or magazines?
    Does any kind of litterature or official army document mention this problem, its cause, ways to solve it, etc?

Thanks

Jean-Loup

Here's the most famous case I know of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Beyrle

The full book about him will naturally provide the most detail. I looked through it once at a book store, and it seemed quite entertaining.

Comment

Thanks. I posted a similar thread on die Kneip, and Beyrle was also mentioned. I have included the info into my article.

Comment

Hi,

Not a published report, but I recall a paperwork grouping of approx. 20+ items belonging to a HJ Flakhelfer who was supposedly KIA on sale about seven years ago.
        Everything was there, death notices, official letters informing the family etc.
        The last document had a pencil written notation on the reverse - "my son walked through the front door three weeks later."
        An interesting group - wish I had bought it at the time!

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

I have two similar cases published in my book, where the family had Sterbebilder made, etc.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X