Just finished Die Brücke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished Die Brücke

The only way I could watch it was in parts on Youtube.All I have to say is it is now one of my favorite war films,just below A Bridge to Far!This movie seemed to be ahead of its time and very well acted.It just shows how ridiculous it is to recruit men that are WELL under the age requirement.It is to me similar in theme to All Quiet on the Western Front in that how enthusiasm for war turns sour very quick once you get a shot of it.I wasn't expecting it to be gory since it is a '50s film.Such as standing behind a firing Panzerfaust or exit wounds from a rifle fire.Great attention to details and a good example of an anti-war movie.Highly recommend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JHG2SD-9fI

Just avoid the 2009 remake, it was terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by David Fettes View Post
      Just avoid the 2009 remake, it was terrible.
      I've heard of it and seen clips.Spotted a GI doing quick evasive barrel rolls on groundI figured the remake wouldn't have the same punch as the original.Would love to get the 1959 one on DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair L View Post
        I've heard of it and seen clips.Spotted a GI doing quick evasive barrel rolls on groundI figured the remake wouldn't have the same punch as the original.Would love to get the 1959 one on DVD.
        While the original is great I enjoyed the remake very much.
        I got the original on DVD from Germany a couple of years ago.

Comment

I had high hopes for the remake because it starred Franka Potente (who I adore) but found it not quite as good. If you cannot get the original version it is probably worth a watch.

By the way film fans the original was directed by Bernhard Wicki, who was also the director for the German scenes in the film The Longest Day.

Comment

Hey...I didn't know that. Thanks Dave. Just watched it an enjoyed it. Neat picture. Can't beat those Old black&white films...
            Mike

Comment

The old version is much better as most of staff and people involved in this movie have "been there", did personally experienced what had happened during the war.
              Still one of Germany's post-war masterpieces.
              Regards
              Christian

Comment

Hi,

I have both versions of this movie, having bought the remake recently and the original several years ago.
                I think both versions are equally good, focusing on different perspectives of the futility of war - and from a German (although the protaganists could be from any nation) point of view.
                Both versions are a clear anti-war statement, with a clear agenda.
                A shame that no war film could ever compare with "Come And See"!

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X