German Period Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Period Books

Hi all, i have collected third reich, imperial items and some british items for a few years now. My question is over the years collecting medals daggers etc i have also collected quite an impressive collection of perid nazi books and cigar albums etc etc and was wondering if there is a following for these items?
    Also as all items in this hobby prices vary and was wondering if there are any "experts" in this field (books and values) who could help me out?

Amazingly i cannot read german (why buy them then lol) and dont research the books as i find getting info on them very hard, any help what so ever would be great.
    Ill post a few up here but i have in excess of 50 of them please pm me if you require any pics or are looking for particular books as some are for sale...

Thanks for looking

Lee

Hi Lee,
    You sure should get yourself a course in reading German. Those period books are full of interesting information......much of which is not written in any reference or historybook.

I think there is indeed a following for these items......allthough most collectors collect them as a decorative piece. For that reason period books with photo's, drawings and elaborate covers demand higher prices than the books that feature less graphics.

I myself collect books, regulations, manuals etc from the German Police. I do read German...even the Gothic script (allthough that took me some practice)
    The books and regulations I have do not feature much graphics but are full of original period information on about everything one wants to learn of the period.
    If you check my website you will see some of the many books in my collection featured there.

Comment

Hi Lee, there is actually quite a growing following in collecting books of the Third Reich period. I know of several collectors on this forum that have a deep interest in books. You have a good start to a book collection with 50 volumes. One thing you will discover is that there are thousands of volumes of Third Reich period books out there. Everytime I think I have seen them all, another pops up. There are literally hundreds of cigarette albums alone. I would love to see you pictures as I am always interested in seeing anothers book collection. I started to collect books seriously as an alternative to the increasing prices and fakes that I began to see in the other areas of Third Reich collecting. It has since become quite an obsession. I'm always looking for good condition volumes to add to my collection, so if you have a list, drop me a PM.

My primary sources are all in Germany and unfortunately with the rising Euro and postage costs, I've noticed that it is getting to be more expensive to get good volumes. Prices on these will probably continue to go up but not as fast as the more popular items. Primarily this is due to the fact that not many can read the old German Fraktur printing which is common in most books of this period. I was fortunate enough to have German relatives that tought me to read this when I was a child, so the books are a fantastic source of all kinds of information for me. Most collectors will gravitate towards the books that have pictures. These are the volumes that usually command the highest prices. Exceptions exist such as Mein Kampf which every collector feels obligated to own.

The biggest problem I have found with books is their size. They take up a lot of room and weigh a ton.
      Richard V

Comment

Books

Hi thanks for the replies pics will be following...........keep an eye on this thread and ill eventually post all the books on here...

1st book was bought just for the great inscriptions on the front 2 pages all hand done just check out that handwriting and the pic (in german) all done in ink
        Last edited by ulrichrudel; 12-12-2004, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Great inscription (any ideas what it sais)

Comment

And the "Taker"

Comment

Mein Kampf

Book #2 , great condition inc original dustjacket

Front

Comment

Front Eagle, book is dated inside as 1942 NSDAP
                Last edited by ulrichrudel; 12-12-2004, 08:59 AM.

Comment

More books

Another Mein kampf this time a marriage copy with inscriptions, 100% condition lovely book, leather spine...........Front

Comment

Inside

Comment

More books coming later but ill leave you all with this one i think it will be well recieved (i hope) facsinating book all in english for the POWS in the stalag see pics and all the names of people whom read this book, i have written to them all and no replies im afraid but what a great bit of history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ulrichrudel
                        More books coming later but ill leave you all with this one i think it will be well recieved (i hope) facsinating book all in english for the POWS in the stalag see pics and all the names of people whom read this book, i have written to them all and no replies im afraid but what a great bit of history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Comment

more

Comment

more
                              Whole book in english, also see the cockade on the front there are also holes at bottom where an eagle went before it was obviously removed.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X