Soldiers Handbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldiers Handbook

I thought I would show off one of my latest pickups and ask for some help with a traslation. I know handbooks are pretty common but I thought this one with what appears to be a 30 caliber round sideways through it was intresting. I have scanned the pages that look like they have entries so if anyone could provide any information it would be appreciated.

I do not know much about these so if someone could explain how they were used and what the sections were for I think it would help a lot of us out.

Thanks,
    Phil
    Attached Files

Inside pages
    Attached Files

Comment

Last page. If I have done anything stupid like putting the pages up side down let me know and I will correct them.
      Attached Files

Comment

Phil,

The large bold kanji on the front of your book roughly translates to "Service Handbook." The original owner's last name (i.e., Higashi) and first name (I'm terrible with Japanese first names) are written on the back of the book in the lower left hand corner.

In the second photo, the service handbook is dated December 1, 1928 which is probably the date Higashi received the book.

The third photo contains Higashi's personal history. For example, he was born in August 1907 and came from Okinawa.

Service handbooks were treasured by soldiers' as the books contained Imperial instructions and decrees (typically written in red).

Hope this helps and thanks for posting the photos of your very interesting service handbook on the forum.

Eric

Comment

Eric,

Thank you very much. Did the soldiers have any information about unit assignments and promotions in their handbooks? The reason I ask is that Mr.
          Higashi would have been in his 30's during the war and If he had been in since 1928 I would think he would have been promoted a few times. I would like to put the correct collar tabs with it to make a display.

Thanks again, when I get some time I will post some more pictures of my other Japanese items.

Phil

Comment

Phil,

I've owned a couple of service handbooks before although I've never translated one in any kind of detail. (My reading skills are limited.) There should be some rank and unit information in your book in my opinion.

There is a second date, stamped in purple ink, in your book that is shown in your second photo. However, I cannot make out the date because of the battle damage.

Eric

Comment

Eric,

Thanks again, you have been a great help.

Phil

Comment

Phil,

Glad I could be of some assistance.

By the way, the solder's first name on your "Service Handbook" is Yukiji. (I stumbled across the kanji that was giving me a hard time early today.) Yukiji Higashi or as it is written in Japanese Higashi Yukiji.

Eric

Comment

Here's another book with a couple of interesting features. I haven't translated it so any info would be appreciated.

Roy
                  Attached Files

Comment

Intesting stamp in the back of the book....
                    "EXAMINED IN THE FIELD
                    PASSED BY JOINT INTELLIGENCE"
                    Attached Files

Comment

This example included the soldier's photo, stored in the pocket on the back of the inside front cover.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Roy,

Nice notebook.

The kanji on the front of the book in the center translates to Youth School Notebook while the kanji on the lower left hand corner of the front of the book is the original owner's surname name (i.e., Inoue) and given name (i.e., Sashiro).

Dates indicate that Inoue Sashiro was born on June 12, 1922 and that the notebook was issued on March 26, 1941.

Nice photo too.

Eric
                        Last edited by Eric Doody; 12-19-2004, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Roy,

NICE! I really like the picture, can you tell what his rank is? The stuff with the intel stamps are also really cool.

Phil

Comment

Thank you for your help Eric!
                            Phil, I have no idea what the rank might be.
                            Roy

Comment

It looks like the Army enlisted man in the photo holds the rank of corporal (note the red collar tab with single horizontal yellow stripe and what appears to be a single five-pointed raised star in the center of the tab).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X