Film: The Imitation Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Film: The Imitation Game

Don't miss this utterly brilliant true story of cracking the Enigma code!

Its an Oscar winner imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5CjKEFb-sM

Nick
    Attached Files

Nice one Nick, thanks for the timely reminder.

I saw the trailer when I went to see "Fury" and it does look very good.

Comment

Saw this film a while back and agree it is very thoughtful and well made. Acting from Cumberbatch was fantastic. Also Mark Strong as the MI6 agent was fantastic. He had one of the best roles in the film in my view (there could even have been a whole other movie based on him in my opinion).

The film got a little bit preachy and PC towards the very very end but otherwise a well made, very interesting period film. I thought they could have spent more time on the counter espionage angle but that is a small gripe overall.

The WW2 CGI footage was not over the top and fit perfectly with the tone of the rest of the film. One of the most memorable scenes in my view was based around the moral dilemma of what to do with the information they had deciphered. I also think this one is oscar material.

Comment

My wife and I saw this last night and really enjoyed it. Naturally the subject manner was of interest to me, but the storyline and acting were quite good as well. I learned a lot about the deciphering of the Enigma code, and the movie has left me wanting to know even more.

Now I need to find a good book on the subject that is not too technical, but full of accurate details.

Comment

Saw it a couple a nights ago and thought it was superb.

Recommended.
          Last edited by IanC; 01-02-2015, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Outstanding movie!!! I liked Unbreakable too but the Imitation Game gets my Acadamy Award vote for Best Picture. I have not seen American Sniper yet so my vote could still change between now and the Oscars.

Dan

Comment

Wanted to see this over Christmas but have been quite ill

Glad to see those unsung heroes at Bletchley are getting some recognition they deserved.
              Shame about Alan Turing, I pass his old house quite regularly on the way to work in Cheshire

Comment

As regards further reading `Enigma ` By Robert Harris is very good a work of fiction but very well written and detailed , was made in to a blockbuster film with Kate Winslet of Titanic fame but dont let that put you off , not as good as the book but really good and helps greatly understand how they broke the U-boat codes and how enigma worked

Based around a genius mathematician completely worn out on the brink of total breakdown brought back to Bletchley to brake an ` unbreakable` code ....

The scene when hes trying to explain to stunned Allied naval officers why they have been " locked out of shark " is superb

If you havnt time to see the whole film look on you tube for this scene

please add the link if you can one of you clever chaps

Comment

Great movie! Liked it even more then ''fury''.Great story and worth a view

Comment

The scene where the U boat fires a torpedo, when it is still under water...

Comment

Originally posted by Woolgar View Post
                      Don't miss this utterly brilliant true story of cracking the Enigma code!

Its an Oscar winner imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5CjKEFb-sM

Nick
                      Interesting film, I enjoyed watching it very much!
                      Here is very fine article which gives more insight about breaking the code:
                      http://www.dw.de/polands-pre-war-cod...ers/a-18267853
                      Cheers,
                      Hubert

Comment

Saw the film tonight, yes very good film indeed, although not WW2 related, I watched The Theory of Everything last week, and enjoyed that more.

I pass Alan Turing's old house where he killed himself, located just outside Wilmslow, Cheshire on the way to work every week, it always brings his story to mind, I cant help thinking that by today's standards he would have been Knighted, how times have changed.

Comment

Typical marbles in the mouth poppy cock !

Stiff upper lip drivel .

Comment

EXCELLENT film - no argument standing.

Let's face it - in comparison, "Fury" was a Bummer of a let-down . . . and this film was a genuine Winner!

Comment

"Typical marbles in the mouth poppy cock !
                              Stiff upper lip drivel ."

Not enough action scenes for you perhaps?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X