No announcement yet.

Mark Yerger's TOTENKOPF book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on captions, etc with volume II I'm afraid readers will have to tolerate large size images with extended data captions as with the first 2 volumes. Design is a matter of taste.

To hold all the information in sequence, keep data types separated, including unit data, award proposals, and biographical information, the only restriction are the sizes and single font Helion uses.

I love the layout and design, but others obviously have the prerogative to design what they create whatever way they see fit.

Mark

Comment

I just finished reading all of Vol. I. I really liked this book a lot. I very much appreciate the high level of Mark's research which is quite evident here. After reading the Introduction and looking at the photos the next thing that I read was all of the Endnotes. These were excellent and I hope that no reader overlooks those. I personally knew a number of vets from the "Totenkopf" Division and I know that they would be pleased with how Mark has objectively documented their unit.

Comment

Originally posted by John P. Moore View Post
        I just finished reading all of Vol. I. I really liked this book a lot. I very much appreciate the high level of Mark's research which is quite evident here. After reading the Introduction and looking at the photos the next thing that I read was all of the Endnotes. These were excellent and I hope that no reader overlooks those. I personally knew a number of vets from the "Totenkopf" Division and I know that they would be pleased with how Mark has objectively documented their unit.
        Many thanks John

I need the occasional surprise so have asked Kim (Helion's designer) to pick from this pair of photos for the rear cover image of volume 2. Guess I need to pay more attention after forum members noted a release date but honestly don't keep track or even ask; volume III in the mind. Looks like summer 2016 release for second volume of the trilogy. Am rather proud of two chapters in this upcoming volume that are not individual biographies although Walter Reder's individual biography has been the most asked about for whatever reason.

My thanks to those who are sending their lengthy commentary by PM or directed e-mail rather than posting; understandable due to topic and personal message content deciding not to post. I am impressed, for whatever that is worth, by the depth of questions asked in PM volume I commentary that are generally beyond typical thread posts. Hearing from those who read what involved decades to gather and some ungodly number of hours to coherently compile is always appreciated. While "Great" or "Love it" posts appreciated, the PMs received gave me more depth of reader insight. As always, I am just an investigator trying to reply my own questions, then writing those answers until they constitute a book. Am always curious what readers specifically liked or seek, data sought, etc when buying a book on a unit.

As to one repeated question; yes, "Totenkopf" involved the most physical volume of material (documents, interviews, correspondence, etc) to compile the information aside from that utilized for "Das Reich" if you consider all written on the latter combined.

For the type of subject data I seek in general, one is limited to subject by what survived that can be accessed in public archives plus what I could obtain via private means. The latter has been essential for all I have done, but especially "Totenkopf" as well my various "Das Reich" related books. I am eternally grateful for that primarily veteran input and personal sharing along with being motivated by it.

With the 900+ pages of volumes I and II "Totenkopf" completes my structure, development, and significant personalities studies (i.e. researched and documented text data) of all the major divisions that existed in some form before 1941.

That of course excludes the "Leibstandarte." My type of works along with other detailed aspects of that formation's history that could have been more elaborately written (specific battles, campaigns, etc) being negated by the non-constructive greed of a single individual. Being aided by the participant in any way exceeds any potentially incorrect or biased period report written by an opponent or many events that were never recorded at all. Full access to primary veterans when they were still living was blocked, a pity for those who simply desire to learn.

Regards me, as they saying goes "the show ain't over till the fat lady sings." There are smaller units that will be examined. I get on a curiosity roll often, going way beyond my own established parameters. While helping Ingancio convert his Totenkopfstandarten data for volume III he had to travel for a time due to his professional career. As a result I went on a "research binge" so two chapters of "Totenkopf" volume III is basically a "book within a book" covering the history of the 1.SS-Infanterie Brigade (mot)until it was withdrawn from the line at the end of December 1943 to be used as cadre for the 18.SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Horst Wessel."

Despite the frustrations imposed by health issues beyond anyone's control, I am grateful to be productive but know I must also waste zero time. With parts already send for comment/proofreading by colleagues, I hope to finish my Army book by my birthday (February 18).

End of my "break," now back to work. I so hate sleep, if I did not have to it would be very convenient.

Mark

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mark!

I just finished Volume 1 and I'm REALLY pleased with Your work! Many thanks for that. Now I nearly can't wait for Volume II...

All the best for Your current and future work and kind regards,

Peter

Comment

Timo Worst banned

Originally posted by pimberg View Post
            [FONT=Arial]***In regard to SS knights cross holders there is one massive piece of research I hope will be published soon and that is on Gustav Knittel by Timo. I know this will prove to be one of the best biographies one should read, again based on primary sources and important personal connections that cannot be underestimated.
            Hi,

Is this Timo Worst who was banned from the forums?

regards,
            Dietmar

Comment

Originally posted by Maikäfer View Post
              Hi,

regards,
              Dietmar
              Above rather outside thread topic

Hi Mark!

I just finished Volume 1 and I'm REALLY pleased with Your work! Many thanks for that. Now I nearly can't wait for Volume II...

All the best for Your current and future work and kind regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter, and appreciated.

Have to ask, for curiosity, how often you moved back/forth to absorb the end notes, my first use of them in any book.

Best
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark C.

[/I
                Thanks Peter, and appreciated.

Have to ask, for curiosity, how often you moved back/forth to absorb the end notes, my first use of them in any book.

Best
                Mark
                Oh, no problem Mark, I'm not this new to use interesting
                books! This is not the right way to prevent me from reading Volume II!

Kind regards, Peter

Comment

Just got my copy yesterday from Amazon!! I loved it from cover to cover and spent many hours reading at the kitchen table! Of all unit histories, I was anticipating one about Totenkopf the most and am thankful Mark took the time and effort to do so. Looking forward to volume 2 with the SS-Inf Brigades and volume 3 covering the complexities of the SS-TV Standarten!!

Sebastian

Comment

Originally posted by Bremer1988 View Post
                    Just got my copy yesterday from Amazon!! I loved it from cover to cover and spent many hours reading at the kitchen table! Of all unit histories, I was anticipating one about Totenkopf the most and am thankful Mark took the time and effort to do so. Looking forward to volume 2 with the SS-Inf Brigades and volume 3 covering the complexities of the SS-TV Standarten!!

Sebastian
                    Happy you enjoyed it, but volume 2 is all on the division.

Best,
                    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Maikäfer View Post
                      Hi,

regards,
                      Dietmar
                      LOL, is this still turning up 16 years later? For the record: no forum has banned me apart from Feldgrau but that ban was soon lifted.
                      Last edited by Ruimteaapje; 03-06-2016, 09:05 AM.

Comment

The source

Excellent book, no serious student of the SS and or the Totenkopfverbaende/Totenkopf is complete without it! A must have.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          Excellent book, no serious student of the SS and or the Totenkopfverbaende/Totenkopf is complete without it! A must have.

Many thanks as well as for the images you contributed used in volume I

Seems to be confusion; volume 2 is all divisional material. The 366 pages and 230 photos consist of the following content with chapters in bold yellow:

Acknowledgements
                          Preface
                          Introduction
                          "Totenkopf" Officer and Arms School Training
                          German Cross in Gold Holders
                          Masarié, Arzelino ("Lino")
                          Meyer, Hans-Adolf
                          Müller, Gerhard
                          Müller, Heinz
                          Müller, Siegfried
                          Neuhaus, Heinz
                          Neumann, Günter
                          Obermeier, Josef
                          Ostermayer,
                          Ludwig
                          Palm, Günther
                          Pellin, Gerhard
                          Pittschellis, Adolf

Plonski, Wilhelm
                          Rabitsch, Markus
                          Reder, Walter

Reim, Ferdinand
                          Reiter, Hans
                          Restorff, Walter
                          Rohloff, Richard

Sander, Hans
                          Säumenicht, Rudolf
                          Schade, Engelbert
                          Schasche, Wilhelm
                          Schiedl, Walter
                          Schindler, Rudolf
                          Schiweck, Helmut
                          Schmidbauer, Lorenz
                          Schmidinger, Karl
                          Schneider, Walter

Schubach, Joachim
                          Schubert, Otto
                          Schulze, Wilhelm
                          Schwermann, Ludwig
                          Seela, Max
                          Specht, Engelbrecht
                          Speck, Heini
                          Sprank, Heinz
                          Stadelmann, Fritz
                          Stange, Martin

Stark, Walter
                          Stienen, Peter
                          Sturm, Dr. Rudolf
                          Swientek, Josef
                          Weidlich, Dr. Martin
                          Weidmann, Paul
                          Weiser, Hans
                          Winters, Karl
                          Wittkopp, Otto
                          Wohlrab, Rudolf

Zech, Eberhard
                          Zielke, Heinrich
                          Zipp, Friedrich
                          Zollhöfer, Emil

Honor Clasp Holders
                          Bachtler, Josef
                          Ditzenbach, Rudolf
                          Dost, Herbert

Eckert, Fritz
                          Flohr, Wilhelm
                          Glimm, Ottomar
                          Heinzmann, Leonhard
                          Hoffmann, Bernhard
                          Hundrieser, Werner

Marx, Horst
                          Obermeier, Josef
                          Petersen, Boy-Friedrich
                          Schmidt, Franz
                          Schneider, Bruno
                          Schramm, Erich
                          Silberleitner, Karl
                          Synachowitz, Franz

Timmer, Theodor
                          Wagner, Karl
                          Winter, Rudolf
                          Wissebach, Hans

Zährl, Hugo
                          Close Combat Clasp in Gold Holders
                          Beier, Hans
                          Boscheinen, Horst

Büch, Helmut
                          Buchner, Hermann

Düsel, Fritz
                          Eckert, Fritz
                          Fehlhaber, Erwin
                          Franke, Kurt

Herberth, Willi
                          Herrmann, Kurt
                          Hille, Alfred
                          Huber, Johann

Joachim, Georg
                          Karowski, Hans
                          König, Lambert
                          König, Ludwig

Lauchstädt, Edmund
                          Lith, Willi
                          Lohrum, Ludwig

Michele, Rudolf
                          Müller, Heinz

Obermeier, Josef
                          Röll, Wilhelm
                          Schade, Engelbert
                          Schasche, Wilhelm
                          Schiedl, Walter
                          Schmidinger, Karl
                          Schmidt, Walter
                          Stanek, Horst
                          Stienen, Peter

Weiser, Hans
                          Winters, Karl

Zielke, Heinrich
                          Preparing for Russia
                          Order of Battle Charts and Tactical Symbols
                          Addendum
                          Appendix

Glossary
                          Bibliography
                          End Notes
                          Index

Comment

Only ordered my copy today, but now I'm greatly looking forward.

I'm sure I won't be disappointed!

Markus

Comment

Mark - Do you know how many more copies of Vol 1 that Helion has in stock? My feeling is that it won't be long before the last copies of this outstanding are sold.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John P. Moore View Post
                                Mark - Do you know how many more copies of Vol 1 that Helion has in stock? My feeling is that it won't be long before the last copies of this outstanding are sold.

John
                                Hi John

I honestly haven't asked them since my own gauge; I always ask what any book sold in the first 60 days from release. Whenever that was (I forget the 2015 release date) but Helion told me then that half were sold in two months which pleased me. Especially since the book requires on the read.

Volume 2 on schedule for mid-June release and I just separately posted a tread regards what is next:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=861022

Best,
                                Mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X