No announcement yet.

Hermann Goring Division memoirs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This quote is particularly telling regarding the effectiveness of the HG at this late stage of the war.

From a report by Major Bechler (a German Officer who joined the Soviets) concerning the siege of Graudenz in 1945:-

"In spite of our activities the German troops continued fighting, whereby the 'Hermann Goring' Brigade, which was partly made up of young replacements (including a full battalion of Officer candidates), undoubtedly formed the heart and soul of the resistance."

Attached Files
    Last edited by PaulW; 12-19-2016, 11:43 PM.

Comment

A couple of sample pages, covering the late-war situation.

Attached Files
      Last edited by PaulW; 12-20-2016, 12:07 AM.

Comment

I just read the Kurowski in German.

It's actually the most comprehensive history of the HG division.

Comment

The Korowski book is pretty good. Thanks for continuing this thread Paul. I just ordered the Stieber book.
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by RamJet View Post
            I just read the Kurowski in German.

It's actually the most comprehensive history of the HG division.
            Hi Ramjet, agree, a really great book!

Willi, I don't think you'll regret the Stieber book! It gives a rare impression of the life of a HG 'grunt' (Landser) from a native English speaker, and it leaves an impression. Like so many others in that period his life hung by a thread on multiple occasions. Like many books I'm sure, his book would make an excellent film. If I win the 'Lottery' I'll fund it's production!

This book also looks potentially good:- "Dem Ende entgegen: Mit dem Fallschirm-Panzerfüsilierbataillon 2 "Hermann Göring" in Ostpreußen 1944/45" (2007)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/38818972...=I5P91JOE271A1

and is an actual memoir, but so far only in German. No longer available on Amazon.co.uk but I got a copy for a good price on Abe books UK, (and also saw some on E-Bay). I have this idea that I will try to read it with my lousy German, dictionary at hand....

A pity there are not more books (and also in English) on this remarkable military unit.

Regards, Paul
            Attached Files

Comment

"Dem Ende entgegen" is also a nice book, it was the first HG book I have read.

The author was a Heer NCO and joined the Luftwaffe after the war in France. As a Ju 88 crew member he flew over Russia until he was wounded so badly that he wasn't fit to fly anymore. Then he joined the Fallschirmpanzerkorps HG.

I even have his privately published book "Der letzte Hieb" from 1992 which I think is the predecessor of "Dem Ende entgegen". Didn't know it for sure, I just get the book two weeks ago and haven't had the time to check yet.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X