Hasso Von Manteuffel Bio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hasso Von Manteuffel Bio?

Hey guys, does anyone know of a good biography of Hasso Von Manteuffel, I have heard of one Panzer Baron: The Military Exploits of General Hasso Von Manteuffel is that any good, before I fork out the money on it, thanks.

Manteuffel Book

That is an excellent book on the old General. He even approved of it. It's
    become a little expensive but it is well worth your time to search for a
    better buy.
    Regards,
    Dick Pumphrey

Comment

Awesome, thanks I will keep my eyes open for a good price

Comment

I ordered the book, I will let you guys know how it goes, thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Jmondo View Post
          I ordered the book, I will let you guys know how it goes, thanks again
          Thanks I'll wait to hear what is what before spending ! Tom

Comment

So I finished the book, lots of interesting photo's of the general I have never seen before, I would like to have seen him go more in depth on stuff (he just grazed over North Africa) and explain where he got his information from. He didn't provide any real footnotes or anything, but I did learn some things about one of my favorite generals. I do hope someone writes a more modern book on him as I think he has such an outstanding career in the East, West and North Africa.

Comment

bio

The book you just finished is very poorly written in my estimation and lacked any scholarly research. The book you would appreciate was written after this one and is titled Hasso v. Manteuffel Panzerkampf im Zweiten Weltkrieg by Joachim von Schaulen. Unfortunately it is only in German as far as I know. I had heard that von Manteuffel was so disappointed in the Donald Brownlow bio that this second book made up for it and appeared about 5 years after his death. Having visited vM twice and talked with him my immediate thought when reading the Brownlow book was "this reads like a chat with von Manteuffel and lacks any research beyond that".

Comment

Brownlow's efforts

Gentlemen,
                When I visited the General in 1977 he told me about the book & seemed genuinely please with Mr. Brownlows work. And, that the book was based on conversations between the two of them over the course of several visits. I am sorry if my recommendation caused any disappointment.
                Dick Pumphrey

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X