• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lone Survivor

'Lone Survivor'

Trailer :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoLFk4JK_RM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuIINk0IftU

I watched this movie recently and was very impressed with it. Walhberg is a very underrated actor in my opinion. Also the director Peter Berg has made some decent movies over the years (The Kingdom). For anyone not familiar 'Lone Survivor' is the story of a Navy seal mission which goes wrong. The subsequent rescue mission also runs into problems. I'd be interested to hear other opinions on the movie version of the story too ?

I thought it was a very visceral gritty film and was a welcome change from the majority of hollywood movies where no one ever actually gets shot (or drops their weapon etc). In this telling of the story the terrain is a major component in how the battle unfolds which is also unusual for a movie to focus on. One thing I couldn't help wondering is why they did not take the shepherders with them so that they could not raise the alarm? I am sure there was a reason for this but in the way the movie tells the story it might have been a 'least worse' route to take.

Should probably mention there is some controversy around the movie and whether the conversation about the sheepherders fate ever actually took place, also questions have been raised on the numbers of Taliban fatalities.

I haven't read the luttrell book yet but it is on my 'to buy' list. For anyone who is interested this (Marcus Luttrell) is the same guy who famously chased down a car full of guys who shot his dog :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3UFIkqx3Jg

For anyone who has Netflix the documentary 'Murph the Protector' is well worth checking out too (about Michael P.Murphy Medal of Honour winner) :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1790825/

Lone Survivor is my of my favorite movies of all time. I would just like to add that here in the US you can purchase Murph the Protector at Wal-Mart for dirt cheap. DVD is $10 and Blu-Ray is $15. It's very good. Wal-Mart is the only store that sells it besides getting it online. Also I just seen yesterday that you can pre-order Lone Survivor from Wal-Mart and get exclusive content. Not sure what that content is though.

Comment

In the U.S. there has NEVER been any controversy as to what happened. It's a great movie and very close to the Navy Seal Hero's book. I encourage everyone to read the book, it's a harrowing tale and only a miracle from God that he survived.

Thanks
      Mike

Comment

Wow what a book and what a movie, it is must read/see for any youngster wanting to know about TRUE COURAGE.

I really liked the book and the movie played it justice.

It really is sad how they lost the other members from the RPG attack on the helicopter and in the movie I think they could of spent a bit more time on the fallen who went out to a fight they knew nothing of and willing to risk theirs to help a mate.

I am not American however, I think that Marcus is a true hero that any nations military could teach there junior leaders in what courage and mateship means and the will to survive.

Comment

Just seen this one yesterday, Good movie

Comment

Good movie, good acting but a bit inaccurate from the original book and events.

Markus didn't have a heart attack and the Afghans didn't fight the talibans out of their village.

Other than that, great action film.

Comment

Excellent movie and really shows how hard training will get you past anything, except bullets.

My Army buddy worked that area, gathering intel on the Taliban. The SEALS took over t******** p's area of operations. My friend said they were eager for combat and a bit cocky.

We had just met up back in the States when that mission and its' tragic loss of operators came onto the news. My friend was a bit spooked by it all having been in those mountains and meeting several of those men.

Comment

Originally posted by mvm71 View Post
                In the U.S. there has NEVER been any controversy as to what happened. It's a great movie and very close to the Navy Seal Hero's book. I encourage everyone to read the book, it's a harrowing tale and only a miracle from God that he survived.

Thanks
                Mike
                Hello Mike, there was some 'controversy' in the US about elements of the film and reactions to it. I googled it as I have just watched the film. Most of the 'controversy' is either about the goat herd conversation or a reaction of minor elements in the US that would probably criticise any US war film.

I really enjoyed the film. I will buy the book and read it. (I did the same after watching the excellent Black Hawk Down and the book answered a lot of questions I had and filled a lot of the gaps).

The fire fight was absolutely gripping especially knowing it is based on fact. If the soldiers fought half as well as what was depicted in the film it blows my mind.

I presume in the book it covers where the Seal's jump off the ledges and tumble down the mountain? Is this part of training and consequently SOP or what was necessary at the time?

Anyway, my lasting impression of the film is these guys died as heroes and I'm glad a film has been made to remember them.

Comment

Originally posted by chrischa View Post

I presume in the book it covers where the Seal's jump off the ledges and tumble down the mountain? Is this part of training and consequently SOP or what was necessary at the time?
                  Things one is capable of doing to try and survive,

Comment

Originally posted by mvm71 View Post

Thanks
                    Mike
                    Wish I had read the book first

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X