Bismarck: Pride of the German Navy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bismarck: Pride of the German Navy

I would like to offer a review of the new book "Bismarck: Pride of the German Navy" written by John Asmussen.

Publisher: Fonthill Media Ltd. ISBN 978-1-78155-039-7

This is a hardbound book, 238 pages, $70 marked on inside cover.

The author is well known in many circles for his knowledge of the Bismarck. Besides several articles, an excellent web site and being a resource for historians, museums and collectors Mr. Asmussen was also asked by James Cameron to take part in his documentary on the Bismarck and actually participated on several dives to the wreck site.

The main divisions of the book deal with a history of Otto von Bismarck and the previous ships bearing his name; design and construction; fitting out and preparation for operations; and detailed description of the Battle of the Denmark Strait.

This is followed by several chapters on the technical aspects of the ship which describe various ship's systems and construction details.

There is an extensive appendix dealing with personalities attached to the ship, survivors, Prinz Eugen and U-556, etc.

The above description is very superficial as this volume is jam packed with information. It is heavily illustrated with period photos, detail drawings, 3-D renderings and extensively researched color drawings of liveries worn by the Bismarck through her career.

In my opinion this is the best single volume on the Bismarck and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in the history of this ship.

Please note that I have no connection to the author or publisher.

JAndrew

Thanks for the review! For some reason, there seems to be two "extremish" "camps" pn the book: those who love it and those who hate it. The dividing line appears to originate from the two main Bismarck sites (www.bismarck-class.dk and www kbismarck.com)...

Comment

The book is not the only thing those two sites battle over. There seems to be some egos involved. All I can say is have the book in hand and judge for one's self. I treid to be pretty objective in my description but perhaps I failed.
      JAndrew

Comment

No failure, though I am hoping for a review that would compare this book with Bismarck sections in Whitley and Garzke (both of which I have) plus head-on-head comparison with Jose Rico's and Jack Brower's Bismarck books (neither of which I have).

Comment

I don't have Whitley and Garzke and Rico's book is my next "to buy" Bismarck book. I do have Brower's book which is part of the Anatomy of a Ship series. They are really two different types of book. Asmussen's is more of a complete over view of the ship while Brower's is mainly a compilation of drawings of the over all ship, the various deck plans and detail drawings of various structures or ship board weapons and equipment. I don't know if you have the AJ Press series on Bismarck and Tirpitz but their fold out drawings are mainly what is in Brower's book.

I am a model builder and so buy a lot of books on various weapons systems and I often see with a subject like the Bismarck or Tiger tanks a lot of books written and they often share the same basic information but may have a couple of unique photos or drawings in each but they also very often pass along incorrect information from volume to volume. Then you get a Jentz or an Asmussen that brings together fresh research and new information and it sets the bar higher. To me that is what this volume on the Bismarck does - at least as far as the information I have thus far collected is concerned.

A few areas where I have yet to find good, clear information: what did the hull bottom look like? Where were all the various openings for seachests, cooling vents, etc. located? Some modelers have recently been reshaping the hulls to show the "dockyard or docking keels" but I have yet to see solid proof for these changes. I have also not been able to find a good diagram of the ship's side plating.

JAndrew

Comment

What was the conclusion in the book regarding the fate of the Bismarck? Sunk or scuttled? That is the key to me regarding objectivity.
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi,
              I quote from the book:
              "Scuttling charges had been set.... Watertight doors, seacocks and flooding valves were opened as Bismarck was prepared for scuttling."
              JAndrew

Comment

Thanks for the review. Just ordered. How could I not?

Dietrich
                B&D PUBLISHING
                Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Hello

It is very informative, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X