Billy Kramer

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blood on the Talon: History of the 139th AEB now available!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood on the Talon: History of the 139th AEB now available!

Forum Members,

After toiling for nearly 14 years on this book while I schlepped around the world with the military, the book, Blood on the Talon, 139th Airborne Engineer Battalion 1943-1945 Volume I: Unit History is ready! The 139th AEB was the Engineer Battalion assigned to the 17th Airborne Division. They were activated on 15 April 1943, trained with the 17th at Camp Mackall and were rushed into combat near Bastogne where they engaged in several weeks of combat. They rode in gliders across the Rhine River as part of Operation VARSITY and pressed the attack into the industrial heart of Germany.

The book is available through Castraponere Publishing and you can use a secure link to purchase through Paypal ($39.95) or purchase through Amazon.com, although there price is $5 higher. Details about shipping, packaging and mailing times are on this site. I know how collectors and historians are about their books, so great care will be taken in packaging to remove nearly all possibilities of damage in transit. Here is the link to the publisher, which will allow you to get to either Paypal or Amazon:

http://www.castraponere.com/index.php?id=2

My philosophy in publishing this book is a bit of a departure from the standard convention, and the motivation for doing so was to drive the cost of the book way down. I've watched over the years as the large-format, picture laden book prices climb to near the $100 price range. I realize publishing is expensive. By self publishing I was able to reduce the cost significantly and not lose control over the project to a staff of editors who were not necessarily interested in history. Blood on the Talon is filled with many unpublished photographs from my collection, from veterans and their families. There are numerous battle maps produced on the topographical maps of 1944. The research is quite extensive, and well documented.

I invite you to read the book before buying and post your comments here. If you are like me, you want to thumb through a book, look at the pictures and get a feel for the content before buying. The entire book is on my blog site as a .pdf. Here is the link. Just click on the book cover image on the site:

http://castraponere.com/bloodonthetalon/book-update/

I look forward to hearing your reviews and comments. Please post them as part of this thread. I'll let the chips fall where they may, but I am confident that you will find the book to be the suitable culmination of an ambitious project aimed at documenting the history of an unsung unit.

Cheers

oz

To belay any fears of damaged books, here's how the gorilla proof packing looks before sealing the box! I think we can achieve 99.9% damage free arrival.

Comment

After a short delay from the printer, the first batch of books will go out tomorrow. Orders are coming in and I am assigning serial numbers from the first batch of 250 printed. Serial numbers 58 -250 are available (with the exception of 139 saved for me). The first 57 are already sold. If you want a specific number, just indicate when you complete your message to the seller in Paypal or Amazon. I am signing all 250. Those of you who already ordered via Paypal and are waiting will get priority shipping instead of the media rate you paid for. The publisher will pick up the difference. This will ensure your book arrives at or before it would have using the media rate. Castraponere Publishing did not want you to have to wait as a result of the short delay from the printer.

Amazon does not properly calculate shipping for international orders, so for international sales, Paypal is the only method for ordering.

Comment

I am pleased with the sales volume for the book and hence we are ending the introductory pricing. The retail price of $44.95 at my site is in effect, with the Amazon price at $49.95. As always, if anyone has any special request for annotation in the front page, please let me know. At the recommendation of a few respected book sellers and authors, we have also reduced the number of pages available in the pdf that is posted on the blog.

All of the links are still in effect.

Oz

Comment

Hello,
          I have tried to post the following to the "3 comments to the Talon Newspaper" but found no way to contact you other than this venue.

I have the first five copies (vol. 1, 1 through 5) of The Talon as follows:

Nr. 1 dateline Nashville, Tennessee Apr. 14, 1944

Nr's. 2 through 5, datelines Camp Forrest, Tennessee, April 28, 1944; May 12 and 26, 1944; and June 12, 1944.

Comment

pm sent regarding the Talon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X