review "servants of evil"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

review "servants of evil"

"new first hand accounts of the second world war from survivors of Hitlers armed forces" by Bob Carruthers despite the rather naff title this is a collection of short memorys of ww2 (too short) by German combatants from all three services .Im not sure how "new" some of these are ? Hajo Hermann features quite a lot in the Luftwaffe section ! Too much text and not enough of the personal accounts for my liking ,though still very readable .As an aside ,did the Americans deploy an armoured helicopter in Italy against German forces ?

I read this book about 4 years ago and must admit it didnt really engage me. I was expecting more and half way through I was getting bored

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Terry OToole View Post
      "new first hand accounts of the second world war from survivors of Hitlers armed forces" by Bob Carruthers despite the rather naff title this is a collection of short memorys of ww2 (too short) by German combatants from all three services .Im not sure how "new" some of these are ? Hajo Hermann features quite a lot in the Luftwaffe section ! Too much text and not enough of the personal accounts for my liking ,though still very readable .As an aside ,did the Americans deploy an armoured helicopter in Italy against German forces ?
      I have long since given up on so called ww2 factual books or media , the stranger and fantastic the more people buy it , its just propaganda thats all

Comment

Originally posted by upbeek View Post
        I have long since given up on so called ww2 factual books or media , the stranger and fantastic the more people buy it , its just propaganda thats all
        may as well close this book review part of the forum down then hey ?

Comment

Originally posted by Terry OToole View Post
          No, helicopters were not used in WWII.

Comment

h

Some types in use of Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine
            • Focke-Wulf Fw C.30A (La Cierva C.30A) (General Purpose autogyro)
            • Focke-Wulf Fw 186 (Liaison autogyro)
            • Focke-Wulf Autogyro-Helicopter (Experimental prototype)
            • Focke-Wulf Fw 61 (Experimental helicopter)
            • Focke Achgelis Fa 330 "Bachstelze" (Autogyro-Glider/Observation vehicle)
            • Focke Achgelis Fa 266 "Hornisse" (Civil Transport helicopter), re-designated as Fa 223 in 1939 before the first prototype flew.
            • Focke Achgelis Fa 223 "Drache" (General Use/Transport helicopter)
            • Focke Achgelis (DFS) Fa 225 (Assault-autogyro glider)
            • Focke Achgelis Fa 284 (Flying Crane/Heavy Transport helicopter) prototype designed but not completed
            • Flettner Fl 184 (Two-Place autogyro)
            • Flettner Fl 185 Heligyro (helicopter-autogyro)
            • Flettner Fl 265 (Twin Rotor Liaison-Observation helicopter, pioneer of synchropter confguration)
            • Flettner Fl 282A/B "Kolibri" (attack synchropter)
            • Flettner Fl 339 (Reconnaissance helicopter)
            • Nagler-Hafner RI Revoplane(Experimental helicopter)
            • Nagler-Hafner RII Revoplane(Single-place helicopter)
            • Nagler-Hafner Heliogyro (Autogyro-helicopter)
            • Nagler-Rolz RI (Single-place helicopter)
            • Nagler-Rolz RII (Single-place helicopter)
            • Nagler-Rolz NR 54 (One-Man portable helicopter)
            • Nagler-Rolz Nr 55 (One-Man portable helicopter)
            • Baumgartl "Heliofly" I (Light Autogyro-glider)
            • Baumgartl "Heliofly" III-57 (Two Contra-rotating helicopter)
            • Baumgartl "Heliofly" III-59 (Little and light disarmable helicopter)
            • Wiener Neustadter (Doblohff) WNF 342 (Tip-Jet helicopter)
            • Weserflug P.1003/1 VTOL (Vertical TakeOff and Landing) aircraft project
            • AEG (Schimdt) Electric-Tethered Helicopter (Unmanned Vehicle for raising radio antenna or Manned aerial observation platform)

Comment

thanks for that Gary ,interesting info . The reason I asked was because in the book a Wehrmact soldier said he was taken prisoner in Italy by an American armoured helicopter ! I,d never heard of this before

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X