No announcement yet.

Für Volk and Führer. The Memoir of a Veteran of the 1st SS Panzer Division

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't gotten the book yet, but I know Bartmann was on Feldgrau, because he sent me a PM once to comment on something I had posted.

Comment

I have just finished reading the book and I have to say I enjoyed it very much indeed. The anecdotal evidence is what makes it so engaging to read, and there is no doubt that he certainly had a s story to tell of his service in the most well known of all Waffen-SS units.

I had the pleasure of spending an afternoon with Erwin in the mid 90's, and spent hours leafing through his photograph albums and talking about all manner of subjects associated with the Waffen-SS. His manner of writing was identical to his verbal recollections of his military career, he was a proud Soldier in exactly the same way as many allied veterans who served in front line units I have met over the years.

I highly recommend this book, I found it written in an open and honest manner, and not a sensationalist 'shelf filler' which frequently abound these days.

Regards Richard.
      Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Reading this now on my kindle. Downloaded for around $5 Canadian.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam S. View Post
          Reading this now on my kindle. Downloaded for around $5 Canadian.
          It is a good book - especially for Kindle [which is how I read ALL of my books today]. It was always a thrill to read his notes on the other Forum - as well as so many others that are no longer with us.

Comment

Really enjoying the small details that he includes that you don't see in a lot of other books.

I also read ONLY on kindle now. Can't believe I held out for as long as I did.

Comment

Any review that uses the word Nazi in it and any book that lazily uses the word Nazi throughout should be avoided like the plague.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X