Marshall Cavendish History of the Second World War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marshall Cavendish History of the Second World War

The following Set of 128 magazines was first released in the UK in the mid-late 60's. I thought some old nostalgics like me would appreciate a ride back in time. Years ago I collected all 128. I never managed to read them. That's my next project starting today. Like I did on the other thread I will post each issue. In this case over the next few months as I read each one. Likewise, this set is probably one of the most comprehensive sets on one subject in some time. Well over 3000 pages total

Volume 1:

Part 1
    Attached Files

Darrell,

I'm re-collecting all the old magazines I read in the 60s-70s-80s. Among them Landser. My goal with Landser is to translate them and possibly post those here for the benefit of association members who do not speak German.

The Cavendish series was a great read to me as a little boy.

Comment

Part 2:
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Darrell,

Just completed a post on your thread about "The History Of World War One", and here I now find your thread on the very magazine series I was waxing lyrical about on that thread!
        I always have assumed that this set was entitled "Purnell's History Of The Second World War" - only here to find it was published by Marshall Cavendish.
        Funny how the mind plays tricks on the memory after 40 years since their publication.
        Identical logo though, I wonder if the binders of the Purnell's "WW1" set were black with gold lettering as well?
        I actually discarded the covers on all these magazines when I placed them in the binders, as they had no text to the continuation of the work, and detracted from the illusion that these were reference books!
        Hope you enjoy reading them as much as I did on their initial publication.

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

John, the series was first published by Purnell's in the UK. It was re-released or published by a company called Marshall Cavendish based in Hicksville, NY in the early to mid 70's. The size of these magazines were slightly smaller than their counterparts (as I posted on WW1). So your mind is likely not playing tricks

Comment

I bought and read both of these works when they came out. Great stuff at the time. I tried to sell them later, but the book and militaria dealers didn't want to know. They are now gathering dust in the attic!
            Pete

Comment

Part 3:
              Attached Files

Comment

Part 4:
                Attached Files

Comment

Part 5:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Part 6:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Part 7:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Part 8:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Part 9:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Part 10:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Part 11:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X