New Book: The German Army in the First World War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Book: The German Army in the First World War

This looks interesting; from the same publisher who produced the wonderful "The Emperor's Coat" about A-H uniforms:

The German Army in the First World War - The German Army in the First World War. 640 pages and 1400 colour photos of WW1 German uniforms: Available in English or German.

https://www.militaria.at/die_deutsche_armee_english.htm

Regards
    Glenn

Glenn,

Thanks! Expensive little bugger. As you know I am not a book collector. I am not a book collector. I am not a book collector. I am not a book collector. I ordered it.

Comment

Ordered

Hi Joe,
      well you beat me to it! That "non" book collection of yours is growing. I am visiting Vienna in about a fortnight from now so will pick up a copy then.

Regards
      Glenn

Comment

Hey Guys,

I saw a copy of this book at the MAX.... I think it is a great book.. and will be on my shelf shortly...

Cheers
        Mark

Comment

The military book dealer "Volume Control," from whom I bought the English language editions of the two really super Austro-Hungarian books (uniforms & swords) from the same author/publisher, will eventually be carrying the English language version of this book on the German Army when it becomes available. I've got a copy on order with him now. Volume Control was set up at the Max this past week.

Jim

Comment

I think shipping cost 29 Euros to Texas. If it is as big as The Emperor's Coat or Stubbs they will need a forklift to load it. I'm not familiar with volume control but cheaper would always be better!

Comment

Originally posted by joerookery
              I think shipping cost 29 Euros to Texas. If it is as big as The Emperor's Coat or Stubbs they will need a forklift to load it. I'm not familiar with volume control but cheaper would always be better!
              The book is very large and heavy....... The dealers at the MAX wanted $175 for the book... (I guess that is the 'retail' price)...

Cheers
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mravery
                The book is very large and heavy....... The dealers at the MAX wanted $175 for the book... (I guess that is the 'retail' price)...

Cheers
                Mark
                Volume Control is a discount mail-order bookseller specializing in WW II books, but occasionally offers some WW I titles like the ones shown earlier in this thread from the Austrian Verlag Militaria. The new book on German Army uniforms will arrive in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><ST1lace>US</ST1lace></st1:country-region> around Thanksgiving. I reserved a copy last week ... Volume Control’s website address is: www.ww2bks.com Their e-mail address is: Ww2volcont@aol.com. <O></O>

Just for the record, they only charged me $110.00 US each for the two Austrian books ("Emperor's Coat" and "With Drawn Sword") plus, of course, the S&H. The nice thing is that I did not have to pay in advance when I placed my order for the imperial German book.<O</O

Jim

Comment

640 pages!!!

In all my years of interest in German military awards, I have never known much about uniforms (especially the confusing variations of the Imperial years). The only thing I asked for for Christmas was this book and it arrived late last night (my wife had it delivered to her office but it didn't make it in time for Christmas). I only had the chance to read it for about an hour before bed, but I am VERY please so far!! The quality is absolutely superb.

It's going to be a great winter with all of this learning to do.

Brian

Comment

Hey Brian,

Yep.... it's a great book..... my only negative comment.. is that it mostly revolves around Barvarian uniforms (they used the Bavarian Military Museum) and the section on Generals is pretty sad.... .... no.. very sad........ No Prussian or other countries tunics at all.....

Cheers
                    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mravery
                      Hey Brian,

Yep.... it's a great book..... my only negative comment.. is that it mostly revolves around Barvarian uniforms (they used the Bavarian Military Museum) and the section on Generals is pretty sad.... .... no.. very sad........ No Prussian or other countries tunics at all.....

Cheers
                      Mark
                      I noticed that too - they made the decision to avoid personal collections and stick with Bavarian Military Museum. I guess the idea was to try and limit the content. However, I noticed some Prussian unforms here and there and also some period images of soldiers from other states. Either way, most of what is in this book is news to me.

Brian

Comment

Sorry to barge into your thread. I am trying to get a book section started so I have put a link to this thread here:
                        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d=1#post715822

Comment

Hi Terry, I do a lot of book reviews at coljs.com sorry, it's only World War I stuff -- -- mostly pickelhaube related. I'm hopelessly behind, but at least it's a start.

Comment

Originally posted by joerookery
                            Hi Terry, I do a lot of book reviews at coljs.com sorry, it's only World War I stuff -- -- mostly pickelhaube related. I'm hopelessly behind, but at least it's a start.
                            Just had a look at it, very nice site

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X