Memoirs of a Stuka Pilot - Helmut Mahlke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memoirs of a Stuka Pilot - Helmut Mahlke

This book has been out since March, sounds good, thought you may be interested

"After recounting his early days as a naval cadet, including a voyage to the Far East aboard the cruiser Koln, and as the navigator/observer of the floatplane carried by the pocket battleship Admiral Scheer during the Spanish Civil War, the author describes his flying training as a Stuka pilot. The author's naval dive-bomber Gruppe was incorporated into the Luftwaffe upon the outbreak of war. What follows is a fascinating Stuka pilot's eye view of some of the most famous and historic battles and campaigns of the early war years: the Blitzkrieg in France, Dunkirk, the Battle of Britain, the bombing of Malta, North Africa, Tobruk, Crete and, finally, the invasion of the Soviet Union. The author also takes the reader behind the scenes into the day-to-day life of his unit and brings the members of his Gruppe to vivid life; describing their off-duty antics and mourning their loss in action. The story ends when he himself is shot down in flames by a Soviet fighter and severely burned. He was to spend the remainder of the war in various staff appointments."
    Attached Files

Looks interesting will add it to the book list.

Comment

When was it originally written, and is it translated from German?
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Not sure but he died in 1998

http://aircrewremembered.com/mahlke-helmut.html

Nick

Comment

Unfortunately Amazon and amazon UK do not carry it anymore. The other buying option prices are exorbitant daylight robbery!

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
            When was it originally written, and is it translated from German?
            I'm about half way through this book; I believe it was written about 1993, originally in German, of course. It was translated by John Weal, who wrote so many of the Osprey Luftwaffe titles.
            I've enjoyed it so far, the author served in France, the Battle of Britain, over Malta, in North Africa, and Russia. Pretty much every front, except the far north.
            His original staffel was supposed to have been part of the air group for the carrier Graf Zeppelin.
            Damn lucky to have survived.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

According to the Barnes and Noble booksite, a new printing is due to be released 19. July 2013--list price 29.95 and there is a pre-order discount currently.
              Erich
              Festina lente!

Comment

Thanks for that. I'm very interested as I have some of his 57 items.

Regards,
                Rudy

Comment

Originally posted by Erich B. View Post
                  According to the Barnes and Noble booksite, a new printing is due to be released 19. July 2013--list price 29.95 and there is a pre-order discount currently.
                  Erich
                  Thank you!

Comment

Helmut Mahlke

Originally posted by xmember View Post
                    Thanks for that. I'm very interested as I have some of his 57 items.

Regards,
                    Rudy
                    Can you say some of the items you have for Helmut Mahlke. I'm in negotiations right now to purchase his Honor Goblet. Thanks.

Comment

The Kindle version of this book is currently 98p on Amazon.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X