No announcement yet.

Expensive reference books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Gordon! What a nice gesture. Yes, I would love to have a CD version as you offered. At least let me pay for the shipping charges.

Comment

A sad day.....

.... when passing ruffians can abuse poor, old research geniuses. I have met, lunched, laughed and had a generally rousing good time with Mr. Rick Lundstrom. I can assure you he only looks like his avatar picture when the winter's snows are deep about his humble, New England home and he cannot trod down from the top of his mountain in search of good, double-edged blades. <br>
      <p>
      <p.
      Regarding books, expensive? Often. Needed? You're damn right! Out of Gary's original list I'd say Mr. previtera's Iron Time at $100.00 is a bargain. I believe even Detlev sells this one (when available) for $135. MUST have book for anyone interested in EK's.
      <br>
      I like Gordon's CD-Rom idea, especially from the photo standpoint, but I like to hold something in my hands when I read, so put me up for a copy of each!

Comment

One little lap top is easier to tote around than a bunch of books when going after the bigger things. Throw in the gramm scale, gem ruler, and mag glass..... weight and bulk become a factor. Does Iron Time have a CD version? What about the other texts often mentioned here? Some of us cannot store it all in the grey matter computer like the genius twin sons of different mothers can. You know who I mean those two bright as a candle dudes......
        Wick-n-Wick.

the CD thing is a GREAT idea!

Comment

I have some 1300 reference books and have written several books. Some facts to consider:

1) authors don't make profit. Period. Publishers do. Time, research costs, etc make it a negative as far as money. I've averaged, over the years, less than 27 cents return per book, research costs (aside from thousands of hours) average over $22 PER PAGE.
          2) value is related to new info, not redone data
          3) low print runs cost a LOT more, most in our area are 5000 or less
          4) color doubles cost of a page
          5) more photo is more cost, quality of binding and paper is over a third of book cost, as is hardbound, etc.

Books I buy now average over $60. Still less than small archive searches overseas charge. Knowledge is a smart investment, for reader or collector.

Mark Yerger

Comment

Ah, but YOUR books are worth their price! And I only buy WW2 when somehow related to WW1 (most of the W-SS Divisional Commanders in your excellent 2 volume set were WW1 veterans, I do other Generals and Admirals, so....).

Unfortunately you're right-- a GOOD book is going to last forever, while those awful ones (and we can all think of far too many, can't we) that churn through endless rehashed "editions" weren't "worth" their first printing, let alone their 5th or 6th...

so a GOOD author gets nickels on an out-of-print at issue, while too many BAD authors roll in the residuals by basically changing the covers on their same old/same old.

At least here, the research is free, so are the book-like articles over on the other side, and if we can't come up with SOMEBODY among our ranks who knows the most obscure trivia--or knows somebody who knows somebody who DOES, then nobody can!

Comment

Hey Rick,

..."The Name of the Rose" is one of my favorite movies, too. Most people have never even heard of it!

Rick

Comment

I have written three reference books, on Croatian, Hungarian and Romanian badges and insignia, but they're probably more properly characterized as recognition guides, since they dealt with current stuff and my "publisher" was the Foreign Analysis Division of the US Army Infantry School.

The lack of a good straightforward reference guide to Imperial German awards is what prompted me to try broadening my Imperial <a href="http://home.att.net/~david.danner/militaria/states.htm">webpage</a> beyond scans of my own collection into a more comprehensive guide. Despite its flaws, I really do think I need to shell out the bucks for Nimmergut's four volume set though. My page is basically just pictures, no dimensions, weights, etc. I'd like to put more in about award criteria and numbers of awards, but I get paid to draft contracts, board resolutions, and the like, not militaria references.

I saw a lot of reference books when I was in Europe these past two weeks, but money and weight constraints kept me from getting too much. I did get the 1912 and 1914 rank lists for the Prussian Army and W&uuml;rttemberg Army Corps, as well as an interesting book with photos and bios of all the Ritterkreuztr&auml;ger who later served in the Bundeswehr. There's a military book shop next to the military museum in Koblenz that has tons of interesting books. If you're ever in the area for a visit to the museum, I would recommend sauntering over to the bookstore as well.

Dave

Comment

Expensive Reference Books

Speaking of really expensive reference books, try the latest "Jane's Armor and Artillery 2004-2005" for $670.00. Now that's a chunk.

Comment

Most reference books on collectibles are advertised as potentially "saving the buyer money in the long run." But, just as when buying a collectible, reference books ought to be considered carefully before making a purchase. Keep in mind, the good fakes are slowly making their way into reference books, and some of the mass production publishers do not review the author's credentials or manuscript for accuracy, nor do they have the expertise available to do so.

When in doubt, ask here. That being said, I'd nominate Paul McDaniel's "Comprehensive Guide" and Mike Beaver's 3 vol series on Waffen SS uniforms as books in the $100-and-over range that really are worth the investment and do have serious potential to pay for themselves.

IMHO a reference library, while expensive, adds greatly to the enjoyment of the hobby.

Comment

Holy mother of Mary... Hüskens new book about the Marchallstab... a cool EUR148.......Gulp !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X