El Alamein, any good autobios or other books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

El Alamein, any good autobios or other books

I would be interested to buy several books about the battle of El Alamein, the most interesting type of book for me being autobiographies of regular foot soldiers, regardless of nationality: UK, German, Italian, Australian, SA, NZ, etc.
    Do any of you have some good sugestions on autobiographies that contain large sections specificaly on the battle of El Alamein?
    Other suggestions about non-biographies that are particularly good reads, or that have particularly good photos are welcome. (Edgar Alcidi's book is already on my list.)

I am also interested in any manuscripts that may have been published on the internet, or in any good unit webpages, etc.

JL
    Last edited by Jean-Loup; 04-21-2013, 10:48 AM.

This probably isn't what you are looking for. It is more for the completist, or someone like me, who enjoys obscure unit histories. The book is "I Paracadutisti Italiani 1937/45" by Giuseppe Lundari.

The book was published in 1989 by Editrice Militaire Italiana. It's like an Osprey book, but bigger (104 pages) and dual-language Italian and English. It's a study of Italian parachute units, including the Folgore Division that fought at El Alamein. There's no personal accounts, and that battle only receives a small section of coverage, but the book still contains information I've read nowhere else. It also has very rare photos.

In that sense, the book could be worthwhile, if it can be found cheaply. (A quick check online shows a 2nd edition was published in 2005, but that any copy is expensive in English language marketplaces. Maybe Italian language shopping could find it cheaper?)

Comment

Thanks for the info, but that doesnt sound like the type of book I am looking for. What I would like to find is good long and detailed descriptions of life on the front, little anecdotes, individual stories, etc.
      I am not so interested in technical info about units, details about rare models of militaria, photos showing such and such a model of ammunition pouch, etc.

Comment

alamein

Hi Jean,

I have 'Alamein' by John Bierman and Colin Smith.

Great book and maybe what you are looking for?

Regards

Jay

Comment

Alamein to Zem Zem by Keith Douglas is a great book, anecdotes of front line life by a young officer, and very talented writer, who sadly died in 1944 making it even more poignant. Tanks across the desert by Jake Wardrop is another excellent book, both give a great insight into the thoughts of such men, and some very funny episodes amongst the action. Must buys for those interested in the desert war experienced first hand.

Comment

I also agree with Jay, Alamein War without hate, is a very good text also, compiling various first hand accounts. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks guys, 'El Alamein to Zemzem' and 'Tanks Across the Desert' sound to be exactly what I am looking for.
              In 'War without Hate', are the first hand accounts directly retranscribed, or or they told in the third person by the authors? I really much perfer direct first hand accounts then anything else.

Are there any good books on the Australian 9th Division at Alamein?

JL

Comment

Are there any other nice unit histories of this style that are availlable online: http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/schol...h-_N66134.html
                http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/schol...-WH2-22Ba.html

Comment

Hi J-L, War without hate is a very well written overview of the desert campaign, concentrating on Alamein itself, but dealing with all levels, including politicians, senior and junior soldiers.
                  It does have quite a few direct quotes from autobiographies, but is largely the authors' own interpretations of various sources.
                  I'd strongly recommend "Alamein to Zem Zem" .
                  Cheers.

Comment

I have now bought three of the books mentioned in this old thread. Does anybody else have any good autobiography/oral history books to propose on Alamein and or the North African Campaign?

Comment

THE LAST MAN STANDING

http://booksonwaraustralia.com/battl...741149890.html

"Where was the rest of the company? Why is no one else firing? A quick look behind revealed the shocking truth. Herb was alone. No one was following there was no one able to follow. He was the last man standing.'
                      The Australians played a crucial role in the Allied victory in the Battle of El Alamein, one of the turning points of the Second World War. Rommel said after the battle, I could have won North Africa with a division of Australians under my command'. Yet victory came at a heavy price, with more than a thousand Australians lost in the battle.
                      Peter Dornan tells the story of the Battle of El Alamein through the eyes of Herb Ashby of the 2/48th Battalion, who at eighteen years of age left his home in Mount Gambier to fight a war on the other side of the world. Herb Ashby was wounded in the Siege of Tobruk and was decorated for his services in the Battle of El Alamein. With three Victoria Crosses awarded posthumously to his battalion during the campaign, including two to his platoon, Herb assisted the 2/48th to become the most highly decorated Australian battalion in the war.
                      Peter Dornan's The Last Man Standing is a vividly recounted story of tragedy and triumph, and tremendous courage in extraordinary times."
                      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Five Americans at El Alamein:

http://www.historynet.com/the-leadin...el-alamein.htm

Comment

Beersheba, how good is that book by John Sadler?

Jean-Loup, not oral history book, but Niall Barr's "Pendulum of War" has been hailed as a very good book on the battle...

Comment

The one by John Saddler looks like what I am looking for.
                              Last man standing seems like one were the author is paraphrasing what he was told by the veteran, am I correct?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X